Chapter 43

It took twelve weeks before Cory and Krystal were cleared to begin training again. Getting back into shape was grueling with both of them sore in places they had forgotten about. Socializing afterwards hadn't  happened regularly for a while, opting to go recuperate in their quarters instead. Tonight, however, they felt good enough to go to the mess hall in hopes of catching the squad and catch up on various mission results they had missed due to their injuries. Walking in they saw Surni standing near the back of the mess hall. They made their way to the table where they were greeted by their friends.

  "You guys look upset." Krystal observed "What's happened?"

  "We can't find Shoure and Iggy." Hawk replied "Neither reported for duty today. Their  quarters weren't occupied."

  "Are you sure?" Cory asked "Did you check the kitchens?"

  "They aren't even on the ship, at the moment," Rufin said "I think they went to see their mates."

  "So it's just us tonight, huh?" Krystal asked.

  "Seems like." Surni replied "Gwersa and Chuff are eating in quarters tonight."

  "So what should we eat?" Cory asked "Something from your world Hawk. What do you think we'd like?"

  "Jaszo, a small mammal, about the size of one of your rabbits." Hawk stated.

  "Sounds good." Cory said "Why don't you order some for us. I'll help you carry it back."

  The two went to the dispenser where Hawk ordered the meals for the table. While waiting for the food the two discussed the absence of the two team members who seemingly were AWOL.

  "The strangest part of it all," Hawk said "is that the Commander doesn't seem to mind that they're missing."

  "I've got a feeling that T'ilvesh knows exactly where they are." Cory replied "Otherwise he would send out a general alert."

  "Perhaps," Hawk came back "but why not let us in on it? We might be able to help."

  "I'm sure he has his reasons." Cory stated as he thought to himself 'And I intend to find out.'

  Returning to the table with full plates, they set the food in front of the squad. Sitting next to Krystal, Cory took a bite of his Jaszo. The flavor of the meat was reminiscent of pork, but a bit richer.

  "This would be good with applesauce." He said "I really like the texture and flavor."

  The rest nodded, they had eaten this before so it was new to Cory only. He got up and brought back a bowl of applesauce and invited the rest to try some with their meal. After trying the sauce it was agreed that it complemented the meat well.

  Having caught up during dinner, Cory excused himself and went to find T'ilvesh. The Commander wasn't on the bridge or in the ready room. He found him in his quarters.

  "Good to see you walking again, Cory." T'ilvesh greeted him.

  "It's good to be walking." Cory stated "That's not why I'm here, though. Where are Shoure and Iggy? What's going on?"

  "They had an emergency," T'ilvesh answered "Something to do with Iggys mate. A female problem requiring surgery. They came to me and I released them from duty for as long as they need."

  "Alright," Cory replied "thanks for explaining, the squad was wondering what happened."

  "Sorry I didn't get to you sooner." the Commander apologized "I needed to clean up before I sent for you."

  "Any word from the sub-fleets?" Cory inquired "Have they freed your home yet?"

   "That's what took so long," T'ilvesh explained "All fleets are reporting that the Ruchkitay are getting more difficult to eliminate. I told them about using drones for scouting underground. My home hasn't been reached yet. Slei says two more missions before mine."

  "Any possibility we could join Slei in time?" Cory asked "I'm pretty sure you'd like to be there to lend a hand."

  "You're right," T'ilvesh responded  "but it's not in the cards, not if my idea could work."

  "Want to let me in on it?" Cory asked "Perhaps I can help."

  "Not until I solidify the outline," the Commander replied "there are too many variables I've yet to explore."

  Cory left to let the squad know what was going on with Shoure and Iggy. Making his way back to the mess hall, he wondered what T'ilvesh was planning. By being secretive the Commander had piqued Corys curiosity.  He was pretty sure the squad would want to know what was going on as well.

  Reaching the mess hall, he found the squad still at the table discussing the absence of the two missing members. Cory sat next to Krystal, placing a drink in front of her. The golden liquid sparkled. drawing her eyes to it. She smiled at him for remembering she liked champagne. He had a glass of Caslin in front of him.

  "Shoure and Ig had a family emergency. Iggys mate needs surgery, so Shoure flew them to the civilian hospital ship to be with her." Cory informed the group.

  "At least we know where they are." Hawk stated.

  "The Commander is up to something," Cory said "and he's not saying what he's planning."

  "Uh-oh," Krystal burst out "this can't be good."

  "What do you mean by that?" Cory asked "Should we start worrying now or wait."

Krystal shrugged in response, she didn't know since T'ilvesh hadn't said anything to her either.

  The squad sat and looked at each other, questions racing through their minds.

  They would just have to wait but they didn't like it.