Chapter 34

When the orders came to prepare for the ground strike, the squad was ready. On board the transport were four of the displaced native population who had lived in their assigned sector. Baniath had been a quiet world until the Ruchkitay swarmed the planet. They came out of nowhere, landing in the desert of the largest continent. It still wasn't known how they slipped through the satellite network. 
The original species was one of the non humanoid members of the fleet. Resembling bats, facially, the rest was more  like a small pony sized centaur. With four legs, moving one by pushing was near impossible. Good with weapons they made excellent snipers. They were extremely intelligent, and friendly, although fierce fighters.

  Cory flew point and the rest of the squad formed a circle around the transports, which were flown by Chuff and Shoure. Coming in the opposite direction were the air strike squadrons, heading back to rearm for aerial ground support.

  Passing into the atmosphere the squad slowly descending to land outside the populated area. This change of tactics would clear the way to to the local city, where ground fighters from different ships throughout the fleet were coming from different directions, surrounding it.

  The four natives led the way, each taking six people per squad. Cory followed the being he called 'Buck', as the group started to sweep the buildings clear of Ruchkitay. The addition of grenades to personal arms proved effective leaving minimal damage to structures compared to missile or rocket fire.

  Moving as a team, coordinated and efficient, clearing their sector of enemies. Soon ground troops began meeting each other and joined forces, clearing the Ruchkitay from the planet. Massive armies swept across the surface of the world, each fighter on a quest to rid the universe of the menace they confronted. The fighting was fierce and bloody as Ruchkitay tried to keep the planet. Fleet warriors slowly took the planet back city by city. Unlike the other worlds they had retaken, losses were numerous throughout the fleet personnel. Over a thousand fighters lost their lives, thousands more were wounded.

  It took three weeks to rid this world of the Ruchkitay invaders, with some of the fighting going underground as the enemy took to the subterranean transit systems.

  In time the original owners were able to reclaim their world.
  "This has been a tragedy of error." T'ilvesh stated sourly "The loss of lives has been awful on this campaign. I can't afford to let it happen again."

  Now started the search for survivors. However, since it had been at least a decade ago they had been invaded, no one expected to find any living natives. Just like on previous worlds, it was deep in natural cave systems that surviving inhabitants were found. Hundreds of thousands returned to the surface in daylight for the first time in many years. Dirty, hungry, hurt and sick they all came out. The many crews from the fleet all helped these beings, bringing medical staff along with dispensers.

  In the sector where Cory and Krystal were assisting Buck and his group in taking names of those found in the local cave systems.

  "The worst part of this," Cory told the rest of the squad "is knowing it's only going to get worse. We're going to planets that were infested centuries ago the hope of finding living natives is futile. That's what gets me furious. Some of those races died out completely."

  "I know what you mean," Rufe nodded "How many galaxies were taken before we found a way to stop them."

  "Surn is about exhausted," Krystal announced as she walked over to the group "Which of you wants to get her to stop and get some rest."

  Those addressed looked at each other, knowing how stubborn Surni could get when someone needed healing. None wanted to go. Finally Cory shrugged and stood up.

  "I''ll go." he said walking towards the medical facilities, knowing where to find the healer. Looking around he saw many of the natives working to repair their lives learning to walk in the light, once again. Some who were too young to have even seen sunlight were having the hardest time adjusting.

  As Cory entered the hospital he went to the pediatric section where he found Surni caring for a young native, trying to get her to eat.

  "Surn," Cory said as he entered the ward "You're exhausted, you need to sleep before you drop."

  "I can't," Surni replied "There's too much to do, so many need help."

  "I know," Cory sympathized "But you need to take care of yourself, too."

  "All I need is some coffee," she argued "I'll be fine."

  "No you won't," Cory said "Please, we're worried about you. Go sleep and I'll brew your coffee myself."

  "Oh, alright." Surni finally gave in.

  "Good, I'll walk back with you." Cory stated "Lead the way, ladies first."

  Surni smiled knowing he had been sent to take her and get her to bed, that's why she only gave token resistance, he was right she needed to sleep. As Surni led the way to the bunkhouse Cory came up beside her.

  "What was wrong with the little girl?" he asked .

  "She's afraid to go outside," Surni answered "terrified really. She won't even eat during the day, thinks she'll be eaten."

  "Too bad," Cory said as they walked along "You know we leave to Chuff's world in two days, don't you? It's on the other side of this galaxy. We're  leaving the civilian natives in the fleet here, most are back now."

  By this time they had arrived to the shelter used as the squads sleeping quarters. After walking in, Surni was about to go to her bunk when Krystal called her over to the table where the rest of her friends sat.

  As soon as she sat someone brought her a plate of food. As she ate her eyes started to close.    She started as she almost went nose first into her plate. She looked at who had her arm, blinking to focus her eyes, Krystals face appeared as the blurriness cleared. She allowed herself to be helped into her bed. She was asleep before her head hit the pillow.