12

*snap*

"Get down", instantly, I'm ducked behind the enormous tree trunk. Newt slowly rises, stealthily retrieving his wand from his coat. His movements remind me of a sleek panther. Every one of his senses is on high alert, and yet, he shows no sign of nervousness. Everything about him is completely calm.

Newt scans the scene. His piercing blue-green eyes not skipping over a single detail. Another snap is heard from elsewhere in the thick cluster of trees surrounding the clearing that Newt and I are presently in the center of. His head snaps in the direction from whence the sound came, but nothing is visible, except for the trees.

     "_____...", Newt says my name cautiously, as if muttering a single word would cause the unknown presence to take some form of violent action towards us. "Whatever happens next, make sure to stay close to me, however; if I shouldn't survive—", "Shh. Don't talk like that. We're going to make it out of here. Together."

     Newt gives me a sideways glance, but I return his look with equal seriousness. Knowing that I wasn't going to have it any other way, Newt simply nods.

     Suddenly, I feel a strange, tingling sensation bubbling up inside my body. I'm not sure why, but it brings me comfort, and I know everything is going to be okay.

     I steadily rise to my feet. Newt gives me a panicked look. "No, it's alright. Whatever's here isn't here to harm us." Just as I say this, I see a hint of shimmering white out of the corner of my eye. Newt must see it too, because we both look in the direction of the peculiar lighting.

     The forest appears to bend away from the majestic creature as it gracefully waltzed into the opening towards Newt and I. I feel my mouth fall agape as I stare at the magnificent being that seems to grow taller and taller as it approaches.

     Soon enough, The Great White Stag stands before me, poised as if he were royalty. Of course, me not knowing much about magical creatures, he probably is.

     His course fur glistens like freshly fallen snow in the sunlight that leaks through the leaves of the trees. His big, deep brown eyes seem to peer directly into my innermost being, learning everything about me. But nothing compares to the antlers that extend out into the universe from the head of this dazzling beast. Light bounces off and through the beautifully warped, bone-like structures, causing them to look as though they are made of diamonds.

     The glorious buck continues to stare me down, and I suddenly feel very awkward. I barely turn my head towards Newt. "D-...Do I bow or something?", I ask, returning the stags intense gaze. Newt looks like he's in some kind of daze and on the verge of tears, but he manages to form a response, "That may be polite."

     I cross my right foot in front of my left and slowly dip my head towards the ground, then rise after about 3 seconds. To my surprise, the stag returns the courteous gesture, bowing his massive head to me. I smile to myself, feeling incredible for receiving such an honor.

     "I have been awaiting your company, ____."

     My eyes widen in shock as a voice as smooth and dark as melted chocolate reverberates inside me skull. The sensation is almost too overwhelming. "Oh...well, um... Thank you?" I instantly feel anguish, seeing as how I have already managed to make a fool of myself in front of The Great White Stag. "I am humbled to be in your presence." My voice wavers with nervousness.

A satiny chuckle resonates throughout my mind, and I can't help but smile. "There's no need for such formalities. It is I, quite actually, who is humbled to be in your presence."

I give the exquisite creature an inquiry look. "Me? But, I'm not famous amongst wizards. I mean, I only just found out that I am one. How could you have, much less, known about my existence at all?"

Though he does not physically smile, I can feel him happily grinning at me, as if I were a small child that just asked their parent a very easy, and very silly question. "You do not, yet, understand the importance of the role, which you play, but you will. Soon."

I drop my gaze to the lush, green grass, attempting to make sense of what the stag had just told me. As I do so, he gently pushes a piece of his right antler into the ground before me. I look up, curiously, in time to see him break the piece off. I gasp, covering my mouth with my hands. "What are you doing?" The stag returns to his original, proud stance and replys, "If you are to be apart of this story, you will need this. I offer it, as a gift, to you."

I look down at the broken, dazzling piece of antler sticking straight out of the ground. Slowly, I bend over, and reach for the shard. The second my fingers graze the glass-like surface, a tingling wave of energy surges through me, like a cool breeze on a hot summers day that is simply there, then gone.

I grasp the thicker end of the smooth shaft, and remove it from the damp dirt, gradually bringing it up to eye level. As light passes through it, it sparkles like a diamond ring, and I can see every color imaginable being reflected inside the long, thin, sleek structure.

Quickly remembering my manners, I look back to the stag, "Thank you." Again, I can feel it gently smiling at me. "Should you ever need me, call. I'll be there in an instant." And with that, the Great White Stag turns, and disappears back into the thick mass of trees.

     Still in a state of shock over what had just happened, I turn to Newt, who still has his eyes fixed on where the stag exited and vanished. "Newt?" I query, carefully making my way towards him. "He was...truly...magnificent." I nod in agreement, gently clutching the antler shard. Newt shifts his gaze to me, his eyes instantly filling with delight and inquisitiveness, "What did he say?", "Something about an important role, that I play, in something that I haven't discovered yet." Newt pauses, crossing his arms and knitting his eyebrows together. "Interesting.", "Quite."

     After a few brief moments of him stroking his chin in thought, Newt looks at me, then starts to chuckle. I raise an eyebrow at him. "What?" He gestures toward the antler, that mildly resembles an ice-sicle, in my hands. "It appears that we figured out the 'You Not Having a Wand' problem." I look at the diamond-like shard and smile. "Yeah, I guess you're right."