Night 001

“Finally,” I breathed loudly and tossed my bag somewhere in the dark. With two bottles of beer in my hand, I sat near the gutter.

The city lights welcomed my eyes. They’re bright but not blinding, just enough to light my night up here in the 38th floor. The cold breeze says hello, making me open my bottle of beer to fight off the cold.

I drank straight, half-emptying the bottle. Fuck. It’s still bitter but with a hint of sweetness. I used to think I’ll get used to the taste ‘cause I’ve been making it my water lately…but nah, still bitter. But it’s getting better each day, especially with a pack of Boy Bawang on the side.

The university robbed off my energy and all I wanna do right now is sleep. I badly want to sleep, but for some reason, I can’t. It’s already close to midnight and surprise, surprise, I’m on the rooftop of my building.

So unique. Not.

One mosquito decided to have his daily drink and I, being alert and used to it, immediately swatted it away. I freaking hate these mosquitos. Sometimes, there are rats lurking around too. I used to think rooftops are kind of empty ‘cause they are in dramas. But not this one, definitely not this rooftop.

Despite this rooftop looking like a stock room with loads of pests and filed with extremely cold air, I prefer to drink here. My unit…it’s too spacious and organized. I don’t belong there.

A few minutes passed and I finished up one bottle. I looked at the other one…should have brought more than two.

I have no plans of getting drunk tonight, as much as I would like to. Unfortunately, I have a thesis to defend tomorrow and I can’t face the panels shit-faced. But still, I need a drink or I’ll surely go straight to mental.

I was working on my last bottle when I heard the screeching sound of the steel door. I tilted my head to see what is happening. Someone’s opening it. And surely I’m right, a guy on a school uniform just entered with a plastic on his hand.

And I can’t be mistaken, I know what’s inside that plastic. Beers.

He hasn’t seen me yet because he has just entered and apparently, it’s dark. But yeah, I was able to see his white uniform. I got a pretty decent vision.

It wasn’t the first time someone went up here while I was here. I’ve been swinging by here for months and usually, it’s just one the guards checking once in a while or some random neighbor abandoning their used furniture and some stuff here.

Definitely hasn’t seen a student come up here before aside from me. Now, well, here’s one.

I decided to just ignore the guy and finish my beer. As much as I’m tempted to ask for a bottle, I don’t know him. So I should not. And I probably should go to bed after this bottle.

I heard the sound of a bottle being opened. Curiousity won over me and I decided to glance at the guy. He’s almost on the edge too, sitting near the gutter a few inches from me. He’s pretty close. And the most important thing is…he’s got a lot of beers.

I really should have brought three. Two bottles are never enough.

I sighed as I loaded the empty bottles on the plastic. Getting my bag from the ground, I got up. For reason I don’t know of, I glanced one last time at the guy. And he too, is looking at me.

He raised the bottle he’s holding. “You want?”

I was about to say no. I know I should decline the offer. But he didn’t wait for my answer as he opened another bottle and pushed it closer to me.

And who am I to say no? It’s a free beer!

Hesitantly on the outside but rejoicing on the inside for the answered prayer of another beer, I sat near him. I took the beer and slugged it down. Hmm. Alcohol is the best when it’s free.

“Thanks,” I said.

His lips moved, forming an almost smile. Funny thing is I didn’t know such smile exists until I’ve seen it tonight. “Sure. You look like you needed another drink.”

“Right,” I sipped at my drink. “Maybe that’s why I looked at you, I was hoping telepathy works and it did.”

“Or maybe I just figured I can’t finish off nine bottles.” Then he smiled. Surpisingly, I did too. I didn’t know I can still do it unrehearsed. “I could use some help, you know.”

I removed the bag from my back and laid it on the side. I glanced at my wristwatch; it’s already 1:55 AM. Time really passed by quickly.

“So why is a student drinking here? Are you even legal?” I asked out of curiosity. I wasn’t this talkative, maybe it’s the alcohol talking.  

He dranked from his bottle and then looked at me, particularly at what I’m wearing. Right, I’m in my damn school uniform. “Asks the girl who goes to my university. Fancy seeing you here, mate.”

And how stupid of me not to recognize my university’s uniform. This guy sure goes to my school. Now that I’ve properly look at him, he’s got some good genes. An aristocrastic nose, strong set of brown eyes, sharp and thick brows and pretty soft lips to complete the look. His jaws aren’t kidding too, sharp but not too much, just enough to match his manly built.

One look at him and you’ll know his status. And of course, he must be living in this building too. Typical rich guy.  In comparison to me though…I look so normal.  But not normal enough to live in this high-end building. Pretty fancy for my liking, if you ask me.

I took another sip from my beer. “Yeah, I see. I take up BS Alcohology.” 

“Major in Margarita?” he asked with a playful glint in his eyes.

Shaking my head, I laughed a little. “Nah, too weak. I major in Tequila and Beer.”

“Good, you’re in my class then.” He raised his bottle and aligned it on mine.

I decided to play along and clicked my bottle with his. “Cheers, blockmate.”

We continued drinking in silence. Not much to talk about since we both do not know each other, obviously. I was able to down three bottles. And by this time, he’s on his fifth beer.

I stood up and dusted off my skirt. I was getting a little dizzy and I know I needed to go. I looked at the sky, it’s still dark but with a hint of light. True enough, my watch says it’s close to 3 AM.

“I gotta go, mate. You can manage going home since you live here, right?” I asked.

He looked at me and smiled. I laughed, that was a really drunk smile. Good thing he’s attractive, still he looks pretty trashed. “Thank you, Marg.”

I’m pretty sure I didn’t tell him my name. And I definitely don’t know this guy.

To be continued…