5

Waking up this morning, the first thing you find yourself doing is throwing up into the toilet. Within minutes your parents run through to check on you, your mom holding your hair back as your dad frantically asks if you were okay.

"Welcome to the world of morning sickness" your mom giggles, but you find it hard to see the funny side of it as you hurl once more.

"This is hell" you croak, finally being able to lean back from the toilet seat. Your mom sits down next to you and you lean your head on her shoulder.

"Um, would you uh- would you like a cup of tea?" your dad asks while scratching the back of his head, clearly feeling very uncomfortable.

"Yeah please, herbal only though" you smile, remembering that one of your leaflets mentioned herbal tea being good in pregnancy. Something about antioxidants.

Your dad makes himself scarce, and you sigh heavily before getting to your feet to brush your teeth.

"He's getting better Y/N. He's a dad, he just needs some more time."

"I know, I just wish he would act like he used to."

Your mom comes over to your side and you share a look in the mirror. She gently runs her hand through your hair, letting you spit out the toothpaste and rinse your mouth before speaking.

"He'll come around, and you best believe he's gonna spoil that baby so much when they get here" she smiles, and you can't help but smile back. You're excited to see how he acts with the baby. "Now come on, lets get some food in you."

-

"Okay so its time for your first ultrasound. You all ready?" Dr Robbins asks, smiling at you and your parents. Yep, your dad decided that he wanted to come as well and you can't lie, it did make you feel better.

"Ready as I'll ever be" you ask nervously as you sit up on the table. "Although I'm also dying for the toilet so will this take a long time?" you add, giggling a little.

"You're not the first one to say that, but the reason we ask for you to come here with a full bladder is because it means we can get a better image of the baby during an ultrasound. I promise you'll forget all about it in a couple of minutes" she smiles while getting everything set up.

Your parents stand beside you, everyone getting a good view of the screen. You look over at your parents, both of them smiling at you and for the first time since finding out you're pregnant, you don't feel overwhelmed. You actually feel excited.

"Okay, if you want to just lift your top up for me I'll put some gel on your stomach. It may be a little cold, just to warn you." You do as she says, squealing a little when you feel the gel touch your skin. "You still have just a little bump but that's nothing to worry about. Some people show later than others, completely depends on your body."

You watch as Dr Robbins places the transducer on your stomach, moving it around. You feel a slight downwards pressure as she moves the probe around, trying to get the best angle, and soon enough you see it.

"There we go, say hi to your little one momma" Dr Robbins smiles, using one hand to point at the screen. It's in black and white, and slightly grainy, but sure enough you can see it. Your baby. "Everything is looking great, everything is where it should be."

You feel relieved at Dr Robbin's words, watching her as she clicks some buttons and takes down measurements. When your eyes drift back to the screen, you can't help but tear up.

"I can't believe you're real" you whisper, looking at the screen. You feel a hand on your shoulder and look up to see your father, his eyes matching yours. "Say hey grandpa" you giggle, only causing your dad to wipe frantically at his eyes. Your mom watches on with a huge smile on her face, obviously crying too.

"Look at those little hands and feet, oh my gosh" your mom gushes, and you can't stop the smile from invading your face.

"And just to clarify, you are definitely only having one baby" Dr Robbins adds, and you can't help but laugh. After clicking a few more buttons, Dr Robbins then turns to face you. "Now, from this scan, you're at 12 weeks and 4 days. I did wonder if you were earlier since the baby is on the smaller side, but everything is looking absolutely perfect so I have no concerns at all. Would you like to know your due date?"

You take a minute to process everything, picking up on the part where Dr Robbins mentions that the baby is smaller. You don't know if that is something to be worrying about for the future or what.

"Uh yeah, but wait. My baby is smaller, are you sure it's okay? I mean it's not gonna turn into something else is it?" you ask, feeling your mom slip her hand into yours.

"Sweetheart she says it's completely fine, so don't stress. You were a small baby too, it's okay" your mom reassures you, and you simply nod your head.

"She's right, nothing to worry about" Dr Robbins agrees. "Now, from this scan I would say your due date is August 20th, which is another person's birthday I believe.."

"Oh my God!" your mom squeals, causing all of your laugh at her reaction. "Oh my God, okay baby please arrive when you're supposed to so we can share our birthdays together" she adds, speaking close to your stomach as you look up at your dad who has a massive smile on his face.

"Excited much?" you joke, secretly feeling elated at your mother's reaction.

"Of course, that would be the best birthday present you could ever give me" she confesses, her voice shaky with emotion. You have to fight away the lump in your own throat.

"Would you like to hear a heartbeat momma?" Dr Robbins asks, and although it still feels weird to hear the word momma associated with yourself, you can't deny that it's growing on you.

"Yes please" you reply, biting your bottom lip between your teeth.

Theres silence as Dr Robbins moves the transducer around, clicking a button once she's satisfied with her positioning. And that's when you hear it, a strong and steady heartbeat echoing through the monitor. You feel as if you're holding your breath as you listen. It all felt real the moment you saw your baby on the screen, but hearing the heartbeat only solidifies it all.

"Oh my god" you whisper, your eyes transfixed on the screen showing your little baby.

"Nice good heartbeat, you're looking after this baby well Y/N" Dr Robbins says, and you look over at her with a smile. "Now I'll get some of these pictures printed out for you and you'll be good to go" she adds before wiping the gel from your stomach.

You slowly sit up, pulling your top back down over your stomach. Moments later, your dad places his hand on your stomach, looking at you with a smile.

"I know I was mad, but I only want the best for you mija. Thank you for allowing me to come with you today, it really means a lot to me" he says softly, and you immediately stand up and throw your arms around him as you cry.

"I love you, Dad" you whisper, feeling his arms tighten around you. It's a feeling you've really missed.

"I love you too angel, so much."

A/N - Slow updates bc life is super busy for me right now. Also, merry christmas everyone!