4: What If?

'The Nightwalker' was a terrible name for a pub. I probably looked crazy as I walked with Google maps open on my phone, having to type and retype the name in every time I lost service. Shivers went down my spine, and I wrapped my arms around myself; It seemed twenty degrees colder than it actually was. I knew how badly I needed a car, even before my mom lectured me about it the day I moved in, but there was no way I could get enough money for one by the end of the semester. I didn't even have a job. 

By the time I made it to the pub, my feet were already sore from walking, and I contemplated turning around and forgetting this entire thing. I was about to do just that, but as I looked through the window of the pub, Hope caught my eye. A flood of relief washed over me at the sight of one of my only friends. I mustered up every bit of courage I had and pushed open the glass door.

The pub was huge on the inside. It had tall ceilings, complimented by a loft, and a long bar that stretched down the entire right wall. A few employee's were scrambling to move the tables to the side, making room for more people to dance.

"Cam! You made it!" Hope immediately perked up from her seat at the bar and waved for me to join her. I noticed her talking to the guy standing behind the bar, obviously way too young to be a bartender. The two of them were having a very friendly conversation. I glanced at him as I took my seat next to her; He was tall with shaggy, brown hair covering the top of his ears. He must've been there for the party as well.

"Don't tell me you're already tipsy." I nudged Hope with my elbow and chuckled, noticing a sway in her posture.

"Mm, only just a little bit" She muttered and pinched her fingers together, giggling a little too hard. "Hey, isn't getting drunk the whole point of this?" 

I shrugged. "You're not wrong."

The bartender was more than happy to provide me with my first drink, though I had to stop him and ask for water instead. Alcohol was singlehandedly the nastiest drink I'd ever tasted. I had my first sip when I was sixteen and hadn't had one since.

The music got really loud, really fast, and I couldn't stop myself from sighing at the DJ's awful music taste. I started to question why I was even here, since everyone was too drunk to even carry on a conversation. Ross had assured me that he would be here to help me make friends, but I hadn't seen him at all.

"Have you seen Ross? He was the one who invited me." I asked Hope, praying she could give me a definant answer. My shoulders fell when Hope pointed to the corner of the room, where Ross was leaning against the wall, talking to a guy who looked like he could kill someone just by looking at them. I quickly decided not to engage. Sitting and talking with Hope and bartender guy, who's name was apparently Riley, wasn't so bad. 

After a while, Hope clapped her hands together and turned to me. "Alright, I think I'm drunk enough to dance now. Care to join me, cam?" Hope slurred as she held out a hand.

I shook my head, "I think I'm good right here, but maybe Riley can go." I told her and watched Riley nod, seeming to understand that I wanted him to keep an eye on her. He walked around the bar and took her hand, giving me the cheesiest salute and a wink, "I'll make sure she stays in one piece." He assured me as Hope drunkenly pulled him onto the dance floor. 

They left me sitting alone with my glass, and I leaned on my elbow, absentmindedly spinning the few cubes of ice that were left. Maybe this was a bad idea. I didn't see a single teacher, which led me to believe that Ross had lied. I had been sitting by myself in silence, probably making a fool of myself.

As if the world could read my thoughts, right before I could stand to leave, a familiar figure took the seat beside me. I immediately knew who it was. I would recognize his voice anywhere.