6: What Could Be

Before entering our dorm, I started going over what exactly I wanted to tell Hope

Before entering our dorm, I started going over what exactly I wanted to tell Hope. It's not like I could tell it like it was, not even I knew what it was. But Hope was good at spotting when I was lying, so I had to make it some version of the truth. 

Walking into the small room, my eyes immediately landed on Ross. Hope was staring daggers at him from her bed, the contrast between them was unbelievable. Hope looked like she was about to flip out, and Ross was the calmest I'd ever seen him. 

"Speak of the devil." Ross clapped his hands together and plopped down on my bed, causing me to internally cringe. 

"He was just leaving, Cam." Hope continued to send him a death glare, but Ross only chuckled at her, "It's funny that you think you're intimidating." He leaned on his arm, switching his gaze between the two of us. He had to be one of the most intriguing people I'd ever laid eyes on. Sure, he had a pretty boy exterior, but his personality was a different story.

I gave them my friendliest smile and grabbed some clothes from my dresser. "It's alright, I was actually planning on meeting a friend anyway."

Hope looked at me in confusion. "I thought you didn't have any plans. Who's this friend? Do I know them?"

Ross rolled his eyes, "Jeez, you really like to interrogate people don't you, darling? Give the girl some space."

"Do not call me darling." Hope snapped. By this time, I was surprised she hadn't slapped him yet.

Ross smirked and put his hands up in surrender.

I tried my best to answer Hope's questions, all the while ignoring Ross. "I met him not long ago. He's really cool, you'd like him. We're just going to have a movie night. Nothing too big."

Hope nodded. "Oh, well have fun. I'll make sure this creep doesn't try to follow you." There was some humor in her voice, but I could tell she was being serious.

Ross shook his head, "Not funny." He mumbled.

I nodded and disappeared into the bathroom, sighing. The tension was so uninviting it made my skin crawl. I focused on refreshing my makeup and taming my hair, and I even slipped on a comfy NYU sweatshirt that I bought from the merch store. Taking a final look in the mirror, I tugged at my jeans some, never really noticing the way they hugged my legs so oddly.

"You know what? I look fine." I told myself. It was just Tom.

I slipped on my nearest shoes and mentally prepared myself to walk out the door. I couldn't hide in there forever. Before I could reach for the doorknob, the sound of a slamming door rang through the room, causing me to jump out of my skin. Once I caught my breath again, I was shaking, but I had to get out of there or else I would be late to meet Tom. I braced myself and slowly opened the bathroom door.

Hope was sitting on her bed with her head in her hands. "It's okay, Cam. He left."

"Is everything okay? Do I need to stay here?" I frowned. Whatever relationship they used to have must've been pretty complicated.