10: Heart and Mind

.*•

The next day, Hope and I decided to go by the small cafe near campus. We hadn't talked much since I refused to give any details about my new "guy friend". I wasn't mad at Hope for wanting to know more, she was just looking out for me, but I made sure to keep from saying anything about Tom. She could misunderstand the situation, and the last thing I wanted was for Tom to lose his job over me.

"Can you at least tell me if I know him?" Hope pleaded as she wrapped her hands around her mug to keep warm.

I sighed and stirred my coffee, shaking my head at the girl. "I told you, I don't want to say anything until I'm ready."

"You seemed pretty ready when you didn't come home the other night." Hope shrugged.

"I told you, nothing happened."

"If you say so, Cam."

The two of us sat there and sipped our drinks in silence. I still hadn't mentioned what happened with Ross, knowing how much Hope despised him. I didn't want to upset her even more, but it seemed like the only way to change the subject.

"Why weren't you in class on Friday?" I asked, genuinely curious about where she'd been all day.

Hope leaned back in her seat and stared down at her cup, letting out a short breath. "I was just taking care of something. It's no big deal." She answered. "Why are you asking?"

"Ross took your seat. He kept acting really strange, and when I asked him why, he just told me it's because I don't know the full story. Whatever that means."

"He's a lunatic if he thinks he has any chance of turning you against me. Who does he think he is?" Hope huffed, going tense.

I crossed my arms at her. "He must've done something pretty bad for you to hate him so much."

"Ross Grier is a jerk. There's no reason behind it." Hope stirred her coffee, "and next time he tries anything, anything, you let me know right then, okay?"

I nodded, knowing for a fact that there was no point arguing with her about this. Hope knew him better than anyone since they went to high school together. And even though I had my questions, keeping my mouth shut would be the best option. Talking about it would only piss her off even more.

A small group of students walked into the cafe, looking to be about our age. Their NYU sweatshirts gave away my initial assumption; we all went to the same college. I didn't think twice about the girls, until they stared to snicker and whisper amongst themselves, looking in our direction.

A few minutes later, I felt a light tap on my shoulder. Sending Hope a confused look, I turned around to see a short, light-haired girl staring back at me. She had come in with the group of students.

"Um, hello. Are you Camilla Dalton?" She asked. There was a hint of hesitation in her voice, like she didn't really want to be there.

"That's me." I gave her a soft smile, "Not to sound rude, but do I know you?"