Describing Things

This is one thing that really gets to me, you know? So the character wakes up, but then they get dressed:

'I grabbed my pink spotty short-sleeved, cropped t-shirt. It has little butterflies in the pink spots and the neckline is frilly. I then put on my pink jeans that are skinny with holes in the knee that I cut myself, it has patches on it too pink patches with embroidered stars on it. The back pockets have patterns on them the patterns are swirls. I decided to wear pumps today them were also pink with light pink bows and pink lace outlining the shoes. I didn't put on a jacket or hoodie but I grabbed my dusted pink hoodie with 'Drama Queen' printed across the middle in dark pink writing the inside was pink, warm and fluffy, I looked in the mirror at my ugly face my blonde hair framing my face, my full fringer came down to my eyes and my hair came down to mid back, it was a bleach blonde colour but mine was natural. I combed it and tied it up in a loose bun, straightening my bangs and ruffling up my hair to create a natural messy style. I decided to do some light make up. Light blue eye shadow which I knew made my piercing blue eyes stand out, thick black liquid eye liner, smudging it lightly around my eyes to make it looks less dark. I put on thick black mascara too, to frame my eyes. I applied my foundation to even out my skin tone, it made me go orange which was the best look ever. But of course I don't want to look slutty or anything. I finished off with pink blush and bright pink lipstick, I pouted into my mirror blowing myself a kiss, I looked perfect.'

No, just no. How on earth did I even come up with that? Plus, who the hell even wears that stuff, and not looks slutty? Girl, you're looking faker than Barbie right now. I've actually seen so many people write like that, but I did make that all up. Lets hope I never start to even begin to write like that.

Now, what you could have said would have been something along the lines of: 'I slipped on my pink t-shirt, and my pink skinny jeans, sliding on pumps and glancing outside quickly - noticing the sun - I decided against a hoodie, I studied myself in the mirror my blonde hair messily framing my face. I pulled it into a bun and straightened my bangs and applying some make-up to my tired face. I did the usual make-up, using blue eye shadow to go with my eyes.'

Better? I think so, I know that wasn't the best but it's much better than having to type out a boring paragraph, seriously. It sounds much better in my opinion, right?

Nobody likes reading the boring descriptions, even if you love writing them. It's really not all that important trying too hard to describe what they are wearing. I struggle trying to describe my character in a good way sometimes, but just remember not to go overboard.

And sure, if your character is slutty then they can wear that crap and call it 'light make-up' but, honey, what world are you living in?

Ciao.

(2018 edit: so when I wrote this I was going through my emo phase and I think I targeted girls who wear pink a little too much whilst writing this. Disclaimer - I now love the colour pink. Also I used the word slutty here which I 100% do not condone. In fact, I hate the word and I don't think anyone is 'slutty' for the clothes or makeup they choose wear. I am ashamed at past me for writing this to be honest. People can wear whatever they want; 'slut' is the stupidest word ever, I would never say it to anyone's face so I don't know why I wrote it here. I apologise).