Chapter 2

At least I know he won't come. I wouldn't have invited him if I thought that he would. (Not today, satan. I don't want a love interest.)

So I pay, as alone as I have been all week (head's up: that's as alone as the void). Yep, it's a re-screening of Love, Simon, because hey, it's the only movie the lgbt community really has.

I walk in and whoop whoop, the theatres pretty much empty because a) the time, and b) it's a re-screen so everyone has already seen it. Well excuse you, I've read the books but I never saw the movie. I had no money at the time, so that was fun.

I timed it impeccably, really. I'm quite good at it. I walk in just before the movie starts, just after the ads. It's an art.

Someone sinks into the chair next to me, sighing in a frazzled sort of a way. I turn to glance at them, and immediately look away. Yes, I can feel my cheeks burning, and yes, I hope nobody notices. Because, who else would it be but Caitlyn. My life is a mess.

I groan and try not to look at her, but hey, I can't help what the corner of my eyes sees unless I turn away from her completely and that would be rude. Besides, she's pretty.

The movie plays on, and Caitlyn kind of fades to the back of my mind. Well--except every time she moves. At least she's relatively still.

And I mean, the movie's good, no doubt about that. The only problem I have with it are a few minor changes. Oh - and the fact they made Leah skinny just to appeal to the audience. Fuck that.

And Caitlyn is watching raptly. Not that it matters. Although, if she's coming to a gay's only event...

After the movie she's smiling, and I take this time to approach her, "Hey, you come to our bookstore, right?" I kind of wince internally. That came out so weird...

"Oh, yeah." Caitlyn blinks, and she looks hella surprised.

"You're the one that never buys anything." Yep, I wince again. Good going, Amelia Fern. Real smooth.

"Yeah."

And just like that I've ruined the whole conversation. "I guess I'll see you around." I sigh.

"No, no, wait. This was a good movie, right? My friends didn't want to come."

I beam, "Oh, yeah. I've read both of the books. My friends watched the first time, they weren't that into it."

Caitlyn nodded, "Hey, weren't you in a few of my classes a couple years back?"

"Maybe. I don't really remember those terrible years too well," I shrug.

"Name's Caitlyn."

"Amelia Fern."

When I get back home my head hits the pillow in defeat. I'm terrible at this. I can barely hold a conversation, even when she gave me an opening. I mean, it's pretty late by now, maybe around midnight. I like midnight, but I like one in the morning even better. It feels so arcane; forbidden.

And the stars are really beautiful.

The stars are waiting for me, and I'm sure as hell going out to see them. I'm walking distance from this really cool abandoned warehouse that I've never been to before, and I know there are a few holes in the roof to see the stars. I sling my camera over my shoulder and jump into my car.

It's a short drive, and the stars are totally worth it. It's nice just to... you know, stare at them. It's nice to be alone with my thoughts. Although, they're a bit jumbled, and lingering on what Caitlyn said. Mainly about us being in a few classes a couple years ago, and my mind is going back to all those years ago, mainly just combing back to all the awkward moments.