[2] Walks in the Woods

"Eden, I'm serious. Spill."

Eden glanced over at Bella, whose voice had squealed excitedly as soon as they stepped in the car. After a few non-committed shrugs from her, Bella had finally gotten serious. Truth be told, not even Eden knew what had happened. Although she had gotten a brief explanation and a promise that "all would be revealed in due time", Eden hadn't really wrapped her head around it, and she knew that eventually everything would crash down on her. She hoped the response wouldn't follow the same pattern as when she found out her parents had both died.

Eden looked back to the bottom of the Chevy truck. "I accidentally ran into Alice, and she invited me to sit with them."

Bella started up the noisy truck, earning a few odd glances from the students around them, shrugging out her pale brown hair. "Either way, I don't approve. I heard a lot of rumours today, plus I did tell you how he treated me in Bio, right? Like I had an unacceptable odour. Plus he was literally in the office, wanting to switch classes, I know you heard that. There's something off about him, and I plan to find out what it is."

"It could be family issues," Eden said softly, fiddling with the sleeve of her hoodie. Truth be told, she knew fully why they couldn't stay in the same class. Her cousin's blood. The knowledge of that should have made her more concerned, and even she knew it.

"Or," Bella countered, drawing out the word as she pulled onto the main road, "he's actually spiderman or something. Super senses."

Eden turned towards her cousin for the first time that afternoon, managing a slightly amused look. "Sure, go with that."

They returned shortly after, having spoken soft small-talk the whole ride, and Eden was glad the attention was off the Cullens. Or, Edward. She wasn't sure what had drew her in. Maybe it had been the way his eyes stared oddly at her own, as if he was trying to see through the wall she had built up brick, after brick. Maybe it was the way her heart shifted around him, with every thought or word he spoke sounding melodic to her ears. Perhaps, Eden mused, it was the fact that he knew what it was like to hear voices in his head. Even so, Eden was glad that her cousin seemed nonchalant about the experience of her biology class, the opposite to the teary mess she had faced her with.

Walking through the door, Eden didn't pause. Charlie greeted the girls with a smile, to which Bella responded with a similar one, and Eden sat down on one of the couches a little while in. She wasn't sure what she would do for a few hours, but knew that it wouldn't hard to find something. The woods behind the house and already fascinated the teenager, and it didn't surprise her when she felt the need to go for a walk. It had only been about half and hour since she had returned, Charlie already beginning to cook dinner, and Eden called a short goodbye before tying up her boots and stuffing her hands into her hoodie.

She hoped it wouldn't be too cold, but wouldn't count on anything, and she threw on a dark beanie on an afterthought. She used the back entrance, closing the door with a soft bang behind her. Glancing up at the looming trees, Eden began to walk. She had no destination in mind, but her feet seemed content to take her forward. She grimaced at the green and grey colour scheme around her. It was too different from Amsterdam, she decided, where it was easy to walk the old-timey streets and enjoy the lights. In Forks, it was cold and green.

"Odd time to walk in the woods."

With a frightened squeak that surprised both and the newcomer, Eden spun around. She was greeted with the sight of Edward, to both her happiness and her concern, who wore but an open shirt, pants and a smirk. She wasn't sure why she wasn't shaking, wanting to run in the opposite direction screaming. She decided to settle it on the fact that her voice couldn't go loud enough to scream, and pushed the thoughts away.