[11] Explanation

"Put your seatbelt on," Edward commanded, and it was then that Eden realised she had been clutching the seat with both hands, her knuckles a pale white that would rival Edward's. She quickly obeyed, trying to calm her breathing. The vampire took a sharp left, racing forward, blowing through several stop signs without a pause.

Despite the girl's fear, she felt safe. She stared at him in a profound relief – a relief that went beyond her sudden deliverance. Her eyes fell over his graceful features, and it occurred to her that his expression was murderously angry.

"Edward," she rasped, and his head snapped to her. At the sight of frightened expression, his features fell considerably, but his tone was pained, broken.

"Eden... I... I'm so sorry," he mumbled. "I should've been there- I should've stopped them- their thoughts-"

Eden placed her small hand on top of his that laid on the gearstick. "Hey," she whispered, "I'm alright." She wasn't sure if her words were too big of a lie. Her head spun with the repulsive thoughts that the men had been thinking, and she became aware of her body shaking only as Edward gripped her hand tightly. His pain had been a mask for his anger, something apparent to her as she watched his lip curl in a snarl as he heard her recount the men's actions through her thoughts.

"Eden," he begged, "distract me. I- I can't go back there... I'll –"

"I know," she squeezed her eyes shut for a moment, knowing exactly what he would do if she gave him the chance. He would go back and kill those men, ripping their heads off not for their blood, but for justice. She could tell in that moment that he wasn't angry in bloodlust, but because they had wanted to hurt her. "Bella wants to run over Tyler Crowley with her truck before school tomorrow." The car came to a stop. "He seems to-to think that he can take her as an apology to me, for hitting me, but plans on trying to kiss me anyway."

"Ew."

"I know, right? Bella thinks that if she totals his Sentra than he won't have a ride to Prom and wouldn't be able to go. And obviously if he's paralysed from the neck down, he can't go to prom either. Can you pull some strings with that, Edward?"

The vampire fluttered his eyes shut, and with the car stopped and parked alongside a dark road, Eden leaned further to the side, getting as close as she could. She rested her head on his shoulder the best that she could and focused on her breathing until hers matched Edward's fake breathing. Her body stopped trembling as he wrapped a large arm around her and pulled her closer. They sat in silence.

"Jessica and Angela will be worried," Eden murmured, "and- Bella! Oh my god, I never found her."

Edward gently shooshed the girl. "She made it back to the other girls – she didn't run into any trouble."

"Oh."

I'll take you to them, but I hope you don't think I'm letting you out of my sight.

I wouldn't dream of it.

He started the engine again, turning smoothly and speeding back towards town. They were under streetlights too in no time at all, still too fast, weaving with ease through the cars slowly cruising the boardwalk. The vampire parked against the curb in a spot far too small for a Volvo, sliding effortlessly in one try. Eden's eyes darted to the window to see the bright, neon lights of La Bella Italia as well as Jess, Bella and Angela just leaving, pacing anxiously. Eden didn't need to guess how he knew where they were dining. She felt guilt knot in her stomach; even though Bella had made it back safe, she could've been hurt. What would have happened if those men had found Bella instead of Eden?

Hey, Edward gripped her hand, speaking softly as he slowly calmed down, they didn't find her. She's alright. She made it back safely.