[7] Healthy Ditching

"What's wrong? Is she hurt?" Edward's voice was closer, his words used only for the effect of disarming the humans.

It was Bella that answered. "I think she fainted. I wasn't as bad as her, I think I'm going to go back to class."

"Eden?" Edward's voice was right next to Eden's ear. "Can you hear me?"

I look gross, go away. "No, sorry."

He chuckled, and Eden knew it was only because he was relieved. 

"I was taking her to the office, but she didn't want to go any further. You're her boyfriend, right?" Winnie said, curiosity lacing her tone.

Edward's smug tone could be understood by Eden even with her eyes closed tightly. "Guilty. I can take it from here. Thank you, Winnie."

A cool hand tapped her shoulder lightly before a quick goodbye was called and footsteps leading away. Bella spoke up softly, "I'm just gonna go back. Thank you, Edward. Mike?"

"Right," Mike said strongly before Eden heard them leaving. 

Suddenly, Eden's body was lifted in the air, and her eyes opened in shock. A small squeak escaped her, and she looked up to meet Edward's eyes close to her. When he saw that her eyes were open, he pushed his head to her neck. His arms held her tight, and Eden resisted the urge to throw up.

"You can read my mind, don't you know that I'll be sick?" Eden groaned but cuddled closer.

Edward ignored her. "I'm glad Newton didn't try taking you," he told her, grinning. "Winnie is nice."

"Put me down."

Fainting at the sight of blood, huh? he continued, speaking through his mind. He grinned wickedly. "I don't think I will, Eden.

Too nauseous to reply, she closed her eyes again, leaning onto Edward as he carried. This was... nice. Being in his arms, she thought, was far too comfortable. For once, she was glad that Edward didn't respond to that. She felt like she was home. Not just at the house, with Charlie and Bella, but home. Home in his arms. I sound so dorky, Eden grimaced internally, knowing that the Cullen boy would have definitely been listening. She felt her body jolt slightly, feeling Edward kick open a door, and she fluttered her eyes open. 

The office receptionist Eden recalled as Ms. Cope looked up from her novel, openly surprised as Eden's body was swung into the room and placed far too gently onto the crackly paper that covered the brown vinyl mattress on one of the beds. Eden glanced up as Edward shifted back, his eyes wide and excited as his body tensed. Warm and fragrant, his mind described her, and she flushed bright red.

"Just a little faint, Edward reassured the startled nurse, Mrs. Hammond, with a short, out-of-place smile. "They're doing blood typing in Biology." 

"There's always one," the nurse responded solemnly, and Edward had to cough to cover a short snicker.

Edward responded charismatically. "Two, this time. But Bella, Eden's cousin, was fine and went back to class."

Luckily, Eden could already feel the nausea fading, and she sat up on the bed, staring at Edward for too long. Mrs. Hammond quickly told her to lay down, but Eden refused, telling her she was fine. 

"Does this happen a lot?" the nurse asked, facing Eden, and nodding when she let out a quiet, "sometimes."

The nurse's attention was drawn back to Edward with another poorly covered snicker. "You can go back to class now," she said.

Bye, bye, Eddy! Eden thought, fighting to hide a smirk.

Not so fast.

He looked the short, bubbly nurse in the eye and spoke with a surprising amount of assured authority, "I'm supposed to stay with her."