7•DEVIL IN THE DARK

After a strong lecture from aunt Zelda, she's currently giving me the silent treatment.

Susie and I spend most of the school day just talking and hanging out, when Sabrina comes home and tells me she has a plan to stop the bullies.

Much to my protest, Sabrina and I walk into the woods.

Sabrina holds a stick, ravelling white string around it as we chant together.

''The weird sisters, hand in hand, travellers of the sea and land, thrice to thine and thrice to mine, and thrice to make it up to nine, peace the charm's wound up'' we finish and the leaves in the trees above us blow unnaturally.

''Ding dong the wicked witches'' i sing quietly and Sabrina nudges me.

''Hello half-breeds'' Prudence smiles behind us, Sabrina jumps while i reluctantly turn.

''And how are we feeling today?'' Prudence cocks her head mockingly.

''Do you mean because of your curse?'' Sabrina asks quietly, looking at me out the corner of her eye.

''Isn't that why you summoned us?'' Dorcas asks annoyed, ''so that we might remove it?'' Agatha stares at us.

''We'll happily do so, as soon as you pledge that you won't be going to the Academy'' Prudence smiles confidently.

It's my turn to cock my head, ''actually, Sabrina doesn't need to be cured and quite frankly neither do I, see i took all of your curse and our aunt Hilda's taken care of that'' i smile proudly.

''What? but nobody is strong enough to intercept our curses, we split the curse because if we gave it to just one of you, you would die'' Prudence scowls angrily.

''I guess you're not so strong after all'' i fold my arms.

''I'd do anything to protect my sister Prudence, watch yourself next time'' i warn.

Sabrina speaks up before the argument can go any further.

''But we might still be able to strike a deal'' she starts slowly.

Prudence copies my form and folds her arms across her chest, motioning for Sabrina to continue.

''There are five mortal boys who need to be taught a lesson...help us teach them, and we'll stay right where we are at Baxter high'' Sabrina crosses her fingers behind her back.

'They know you're lying' i tell her in my head.

'No they don't' she says back, The sisters chuckle.

''Are they handsome at least?'' Prudence asks and i shake my head.

''It's always more fun when they're handsome'' Dorcas grins.

''We'll help you, half-breeds. But they're you're enemies, you'll have to do most of the work'' Prudence smirks.

***

We play with the lights above the boys outside of a small store.

We walk out of the woods and one of the boys nudges the rest, staring in our direction.