Chapter Six

I wake up with a throbbing headache. I check my phone.

It's 2:00 PM. I've missed most of the school day! I check my messages.

Phil: Hi, Dan. I hope that you're feeling okay. I'll watch the kids for you.

Me: You can come get me after school.

Maya & Max's mum: I'm going to have Friday evening off now. I'm planning on taking the twins and Maya's friend swimming. Thank you for all of your help!

Me: You're welcome. Enjoy your time with the kids!

Dad: I have a business trip in London this weekend. Mum is coming with me. Will you feel well enough to be left alone at the house?

Me: Yeah, my migraine will be over by then.

Phil texts back.

Phil: Are you sure that you want to babysit today?  How's your hangover?

Me: I have a headache.

Phil: Well, obviously. What have you been doing all day?

Me: Sleeping.

Phil: Mr. Doug asked about you. I said, "Dan's sick, but he'll be back soon." I found out that Amelia and her girlfriend have our lunch hour. Lacie is today's friend.

Me: Thanks for not telling Mr. Doug that I got wasted last night. Also, thank you for getting me home safely.  I really appreciate it, Phil.

Phil: Anytime.

Me: What's Lacie like?

Phil: Kinda edgy.  You'll like her.  Amelia asked about you.  I told her the same thing that I told Mr. Doug.

Me: Thanks. 

Phil: No problem. I'll see you after school?

Me: Yep.

***

Phil and I are watching Maxwell, Maya, and Aniyah today.  Maya and Aniyah are currently playing with action figures, and Maxwell is being read to by Phil again.

"And they all lived happily ever after," Phil concludes, closing the book.

"Again, again!," Maxwell chants.

"Why don't you play with your sister and her friend?," Phil suggests.

"Good idea!," Maxwell says.  He plops down on the floor by the girls and grabs one of the dolls out of their pile. 

Phil walks over to me, chuckling.  "I'm so glad that I offered to babysit with you," he says.

"Do you want kids?," I ask, but I already know the answer.

"Of course I want kids!  I also want cacti and corgis."

"You'll be a wonderful dad, Phil. Just make sure not to kill the cacti...or the corgis...or the kids."

Phil laughs. "Stop making these jokes! Dan, you'll be the best dad." He smiles brightly and genuinely.

Phil is so cute that I can't stand it.  I blush and turn away.

"How's your headache?," Phil asks.

I sigh.  "It's still bad.  I've already taken some medicine.  I'm just waiting for it to kick in."