Chapter Twenty | Two Months Later

It has been two months since my father left, but things have actually been okay for the past two months.  I haven't endured any panic attacks, Phil's and my lunch group takes up half of the cafeteria now, and Phil and I have helped several people using the assistance of my power.

Phil and I are on our way to saving the world, or at least part of it.

Amelia and Starla have been doing so much better, and Phil and I are so happy for them.  Things aren't perfect by any means, but they're improving for them.

A non-binary person named Kai is today's friend, and they're sitting with the group because they heard that Asha's single now.  However, Asha figured out that she is aromantic, which is why she and Reo broke up.

Imani is obviously into Reo.  He and Natasha are no longer together because Natasha thinks that he's gay, and I agree.  Would it be inappropriate for Imani to date his sister's ex?  I mean, Asha and Reo's relationship ended on good terms, and they're still friends.  They continue to sit together at lunch.  I'm sure that Asha would be all for it.  I guess it would be okay. (Plus, I know that Imani and Reo are really into each other because I used my power on them.)

"Asha, you are a breath of fresh air," Kai says, taking a sip of their apple juice.

Asha snorts. "I don't know how I am with all of Imani's nasty air surrounding me."

"Hey!," Imani shouts, glaring at his sister, his face turning crimson as he looks at Reo.

Reo giggles in response.

Kai shakes their head, smiling. "Asha, you are utterly hilarious."

"I know right," Asha replies.

Imani rolls his eyes.

Lacie and Amelia take their seats by Phil and me and share a kiss.

"At least my two favorite ships are still together," Asha says.

"You and I can be your third," Kai proposes.

Asha shakes her head.  "Kai, I don't like people like that."

"People like what?," Kai asks, frowning.

"No, I mean I don't like people in that way," Asha explains.

"You could just say you don't like me," Kai says.

"It's not that I don't like you in particular, Kai, not that it'd be a sin if that happened to be the case—it's that I don't like anybody.  I'm aromantic and asexual."

Kai frowns.  "That sounds lonely, stuck-up, sad, and bitter."

Asha shakes her head.  "I'm not lonely with all of these friends surrounding me," she says, smiling, "and I'm not stuck-up either.  It's not sad because being in a relationship wouldn't make me happy.  No offense, Reo.  I'm also not bitter."

Reo laughs.  "None taken."

"Oh, I can make one taken," Imani says.

Reo laughs.  "Do you have something to ask me, Imani?"

"Will you go out with me?"

"Yes!"

Kai sighs as Imani and Reo hug one another.  "Asha, I'm sorry for assuming things because of these parts of your identity.  People assume things all the time because I'm non-binary, and it's just not right.  Can we still be friends?"