Chapter Seven

A guy in a red shirt, black sweatpants, and dreads takes his seat by Asha at the lunch table.

"My brother just got switched to our lunch hour," Asha says.

"Hey, I'm Imani," Asha's brother says, tearing off half of his straw's wrapper. He blows the other half at Asha.

"Imani feels the need to do this every time that he receives a straw," Asha explains.

"Hi, so, my name is Dan," I say.

"Hey, I'm Phil," my best friend says.

Imani nods. "Nice to meet you."

Amelia and Lacie sit down. "Amelia and I have been dating for a year!," Lacie announces, grinning. She kisses the top of Amelia's head. "I have been with the sweetest, most intelligent, most gorgeous woman that I have ever encountered for 365 days."

"Is everybody at this table gay?," Imani asks.

Everybody at our lunch table laughs. Phil and I exchange identical facial expressions. Imani is today's friend.

"Do you wanna hang out with these gays on Sunday?," Asha asks Imani.

"Sure," Imani replies. "Where are we going?"

"Oh yeah." Asha laughs. "We never decided. Where and when should we meet, y'all?"

"The Cheesecake Factory at noon," Lacie says.  "Amelia loves The Cheesecake Factory."

Asha nods.  "Does that sound good, Imani?"

"I'm not picky," Imani says.  "Will that be okay, Dan and Phil?"

Phil and I nod.

The bell rings, dismissing us from lunch.  "Then it's settled.  See you all there," Asha says.

***

"Can I get you something to drink?," I ask Phil as we enter my house.  I hand him the plate of cookies that I baked last night immediately after be dropped me off at my house.

"Wow, you didn't have to bake for me," Phil says, taking two cookies and setting the plate down on the coffee table.  He sits down on the couch. 

"I got almond milk for you.  Would you like some?"

"Aw, Dan, that's so sweet.  Sure, I'll have a glass."

I head into the kitchen and reach into the fridge to grab the carton of almond milk.  I pour a glass and return the carton to the fridge.  I hand the glass to Phil, who immediately dips his first cookie in the milk.

"Can you also spend the night tomorrow?," I ask.  "My mum's car is here, and you can drive it to The Cheesecake Factory on Sunday."

"Sure," Phil replies, nodding. 

"We can watch scary movies at night," I suggest.

"I can't wait."

"What do you think of Imani?," I ask, joining Phil on the couch.

"Imani seems cool."

"I agree.  Our other friends also seem cool. I've never had this many friends before, Phil, and we're just getting started."  I can't help but smile.  I grab one of the cookies and begin to munch on it.

Phil smiles back.  "I'm happy for you, Dan."

I just want to kiss Phil, but I need to control myself.  This dude is my best friend.

Once I finish the cookie, I wash my hands in the kitchen.  When I return, Phil hugs me and takes a bite out of another cookie.  "You're so thoughtful.  Thank you," he says.

I don't hug Phil back.  I just stand here, enjoying his warmth.  I can't hug Phil back—I just touched myself, and I'll probably do it again.  I have to get used to not touching Phil.  It's going to be arduous to avoid touching him all night.  I don't want to find out that Phil just thinks of me platonically.  I don't want to risk unintentionally using my power on him again.

Phil lets go.  "Is something wrong?," he asks, sitting back down.

I shake my head.  "No, everything's fine," I assure Phil.  I return to my spot on the couch. 

***

Phil is lying in my lap.  He's asleep, and it's taking every ounce of the self-control in my possession not to wrap my arms around him.

I bend down just a bit in order to grab a cookie, and I feel Phil shift positions.  He sits up.  "Hey, sorry for falling asleep on you," he says awkwardly, his voice sounding raspy and kind of sexy.

"I didn't mind," I say nervously.

Phil laughs.  "Dan, can I ask you something?"

"What?"

"Are you gay?"

I turn away from Phil.  I don't want to have to watch him reject me.

"Because I am," Phil says, moving my head to face him.  He crashes his lips against mine, putting me in a state of complete and utter shock.

I place my hand on Phil's cheek and pull his body close to mine.  I kiss Phil back, tasting chocolate.

I brush my curls back and deepen the kiss.  I open my eyes, and "boyfriend" appears in the air.  "Love" follows.  I close my eyes and passionately make out with Phil.

Phil shows his dominance by pinning me to the couch.  He places his hand on my chest, and I put my arm around his back.  Phil releases my lips and begins to leave a trail of kisses down my neck.

I hug Phil, and he presses his body against mine, leaving me with a slight problem, but I ignore it as he connects our lips again.

I move my hand down Phil's back as I get on his lap.  He kisses me for a few minutes longer before he inevitably disconnects our lips.

I get off Phil's lap and sit beside him on the couch, breathing heavily.

"That," Phil says, "was perfect," he adds between heavy breaths.

"I know it's soon," I say, "but I love you, Phil Lester."

"You're gonna make me cry.  I love you, Dan Howell," Phil says.

"Let's go sleep in my room," I say, taking Phil's hand and leading him upstairs.

I get into bed with Phil and pull the duvet over us.

Phil spoons me as we drift off, dreaming of what's yet to come.