Chapter 12 - Brunch Time

Hermione was positively walking on air as she strode up the front path of the Delacour estate. She could see remnants of the spell that had caused the ground to light up beneath her feet the night before and tried to make it appear stronger by skipping a bit. For a moment, the lights did seem to respond to her, though they were difficult to see in the stark sunlight. A giggle escaped her mouth at the sensation of being able to goad the magic into surging stronger. She felt one with the Universe.

Hours had passed since her kiss with Draco, and while she'd been incredibly regretful that they had been interrupted, she marveled at how much it had increased the intensity of her feelings for him. She was positively besotted with him, while also having this new sense of watchful energy about her. It felt as though he might appear at any moment, grab her up, and kiss her again. Seemingly enjoying this intrigue, she had decided not to send him a message or seek him out, but to wait for him to make the next move. It was all very exciting and she congratulated herself on exercising this level of self-control, especially after her erratic and overemotional behavior over the last 24 hours.

She felt as though she were master of the chaos now, content to allow it to act on her as it may, but giving it a sly, conspiratory wink at the same time. So far, she'd truly been enjoying the suspense of not hearing from him right away, and she felt content in the idea that that enjoyment would remain.

Brunch at the Delacour's was, in fact, taking place this morning, and while Hermione was dreading seeing the Weasleys, she truly needed to apologize to Gabrielle in person, and this was the best time to do it. She would be traveling back to London later that same day, and had already packed her things up at the muggle inn, returned her rental car, and magic'd her belongings back home ahead of her, save the essentials of course.

Given the way she was feeling, she thought that she could see a hundred Weasleys and not be shaken. Ron had his secret, but she had her own secret now. A secret that she was bloody well entitled to have, too, not one like his that would make him the villain in any story told about their relationship henceforth. Hers was instead a sweet story of forgiveness, of changing times and possibilities for hitherto unimagined futures in which she and Draco Malfoy were a thing! She couldn't help her giddy school-girl from erupting out of her, and thought bemusedly of Lavender Brown and her ridiculous infatuation with Ron in their 6th year. She thought she quite understood the girl's behavior now, though she couldn't remember ever feeling this besotted by Ron.

Ron. He would likely be there, and she had made a deal with herself to be civil, even kind. He was absolutely a complete and utter imbecile, yet the part of her that always had a soft spot for Ron's stupidity now purred in her chest, telling her that she was safe. She had someone else in her life that could care for her, and she didn't need to be careful with Ron. It was absolutely over between them and she was in no danger of being swept back in now. Her loneliness, her fear, her desperation at needing her marriage to work... it had gone, and been replaced with a glowing orb of warm white light, which resided right over her heart and was filled with a renewed sense of belonging... and hope for the future.

As she arrived at the front entrance, she placed her hand over her chest, closed her eyes, and took a deep breath, allowing the sense of calm to wash over her fully.

She lifted her hand to the front door, meaning to knock, when it swung open before she could even make contact. The house seemed to have been... expecting her. She felt chills wash over her body, and smiled as she stepped inside. This old estate contained various forms of magic she had never witnessed before, yet for the Delacours it all seemed commonplace. She supposed that everyone had things like that in their homes, things they took for granted because they were so used to them, and it took an outside visitor's delight to remind them of their good fortune. She must remember to mention it to them.