Chapter 37 - Escaped

Narcissa Malfoy ESCAPED!

The wife of Death Eater Lucius Malfoy and Mother to recently redeemed ex-Death Eater Draco Malfoy was discovered to have escaped sometime yesterday morning from her heavily guarded room in St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. Mrs. Malfoy had been serving a sentence at Azkaban Prison and was expected to remain there for the foreseeable future. Following a sudden illness, the details of which we have not been exclusively privy to, Mrs. Malfoy was removed from the prison to receive treatment, only to disappear from her hospital bed inexplicably sometime Thursday morning.

The guards and healers who were brought in for questioning seemed to have been confunded, unable to recall any suspicious activity that may have led to the escape. As Azkaban residents are not permitted to carry wands, and it is highly unlikely that Mrs. Malfoy performed wandless magic in her condition, it can only be concluded that accomplices were involved. However, the hospital holds no record of any visitors to the floor, and nor can the prison or hospital staff involved tell us anything of note in regard to the matter.

"Truly it is a dizzying and unexpected turn of events. The hospital, along with the Auror office will be conducting a full enquiry. Presumably, if our staff have been confunded, we will be able to restore their memories and discover who the culprit was," said Miriam Strout, recently appointed Head of Hospital. "We can only hope there is no Death Eater involvement in this matter."

Blaise stopped reading and looked up at Draco.

"They're going to want you in for questioning."

Draco heard him, but couldn't break from his current train of thought. What did this mean? How had his Mother accomplished such a feat, and why? Was this part of his Father's plan, or was this a rebellion on his Mother's part? Was there a link between Hermione's disappearance and his Mother's escape? The two seemed connected, and yet he could not for the life of him riddle out how.

"Draco, did you hear me? We're going to need to rethink our entire plan."

Finally, he looked up at his oldest friend through tired eyes; he had still hardly slept but for the few potion-induced naps that had been forced upon him by Blaise... and Ron, of all people.

Never in his life had he imagined being held down and forced a potion by the red-headed barmiest wizard of their age, and in his own home.

"I heard you."

Blaise shook his head, while Ron shifted awkwardly where he stood. "Are you... are you alright, Malfoy?" he asked, tentatively.

Draco glared at him. They'd been plotting and planning together the entire day previous, and while Draco had come to accept the man's presence there, he was not interested in becoming chums. When Draco made no response other than the glare, Ron threw up both hands and sat back in his seat.

"Fine, sorry for giving a shit about your mental state. I'll go back to reviling you in every sense of the word, shall I?"

Draco felt the slightest pang of guilt at this. He was not alright, but he could scarcely admit that to himself or Blaise, let alone to a Weasley.

"You can't just ask him outright, Weasley," Blaise said, then turned to smile at Draco. "Draco isn't quite so easy as that."

"Oh bugger off, the both of you. I'm trying to think," said Draco, who was biting his lower lip raw in a similar fashion to the way Hermione always did when she was worried.

"It's just," Ron began, clearly unable to take Blaise's advice, "your Mum is missing now, on top of your... Hermione."

There was an awkward pause in which the fact that Ron he called her "your Hermione" hung in the air without dissipating.