Chapter 20 - Hellooo, Malfoy!

Draco didn't want to open his eyes. The sun streaming into the room was oppressive... unseemly.

Even as he thought it, he realized he wasn't in his own bed. He'd always drawn his curtains before going to sleep, for one thing, but he was also distinctly aware of the absence of his usual silk down pillows. In fact, there was no pillow beneath his head at all.

With a warming realization, he remembered that he was with her. In her bed. That they'd surreptitiously left the group gathering last night at staggered times and met up in front of Flourish and Blotts before apparating to her flat together. Harry and Blaise had been ready to confund anyone who seemed suspicious, giving them a clear path to move freely.

The night had been... incredible.

He'd been having trouble wrapping his head around so many positive things happening in such a small amount of time. To him, it felt as though the world was suddenly in screaming color, after years of seeing only gray.

The overwhelmingly positive sensation felt tenuous.

Perhaps it was just because it was so foreign, but he'd never been very good at allowing things to continue going well once they'd got started. Indeed, he was much more accustomed to chaos and turmoil.

Turning to look at her, he realized that he was staring at her feet. His head was at the foot of her bed, while she had her head up at the top.

Remembering the reason why, he grinned. After having sex three or four more times upon arriving back at her flat, they concluded that they needed to stop and sleep. Every time they laid down face to face, however, they'd end up snogging and it would start all over again.

It seemed that their attraction had been built up and stored for what must have been years for both of them, and they were retroactively getting it out of their systems.

Draco knew it would never be fully out of his system. If he couldn't break the marriage promise in the allotted time and was going to be stuck with Astoria, then perhaps they could create some arrangement...

He shook his head.

Not the time to think about that yet.

He needed to allow himself to just enjoy the current moment, even if it might be fleeting. Even if it would be difficult later. He deserved at least a drop of happiness before returning to his obligations.

Yes, that was what he'd focus upon today, and he would make this day worth it.

A knot formed in his stomach as he remembered that he'd lied to her the night before. A white lie, all things considered, and yet he'd felt horribly about it. He wasn't as concerned about admitting his lie as he was about making her feel embarrassed that he'd witnessed her kiss with her now ex-husband.

He would tell her. He'd find the right time, perhaps when it all wasn't so fresh. For now, he'd keep things peaceful. Happy. Fun.

Just then, he turned his head and felt something stab into his scalp. Lifting up onto his elbows, he reached back and found a letter wedged between the mattress and bed frame. It was unopened, addressed to Hermione, and with a Hogwarts seal.

"Longbottom," he grunted quietly, then glanced up to see that Hermione was still fast asleep.

He looked down at the letter with a grimace, resisting the urge to either open it or tear it to pieces. Seeing her with the herbology professor last night had ended his plan to ignore her for the first hour. The way he had rushed through the door with his pathetic Gryffindor heroics had made Draco's blood boil.