intro: pastel boy

In Daesung High, there were two people most everyone knew:

Park Jimin, and the boy Park Jimin loved to pick on.

To say the least, the two of them both stood out, each in their own ways. Jimin wasn't tall, per say, but his aura and the way he dressed gave him the impression of towering over just about anyone he looked upon. Fiery orange hair, dark, menacing brown eyes and an entirely black wardrobe from the leather jackets and boots to his belts and cotton t-shirts.

The girls loved him. The guys envied him. Well, some did. Some found his presence quite unpleasant, and others were intimidated by him and would avoid him at all costs. No one ever confronted him. They feared they would become a target, just like that pastel-wearing boy who Jimin never left alone.

Even people who didn't know the boy's name knew of him, some by his distinct appearance, others by the nickname "pastel boy" used by just about everyone. Even Jimin. The boy, Min Yoongi, could always be found wearing some type of light-colored sweater, usually white or a coffee-ish brown, but several times he had come to school wearing a sweater to match the shade of his mint-green hair, and even one to compliment the natural blush on his otherwise pale cheeks.

He always had on a pair of round glasses, and when he held books out in front of him to read, you could see the way his slim wrists drowned in his sleeves. When at the library, he sat at a small table with another boy who was his close friend, and occasionally they would be joined by several others. But not even there, in the "peaceful" atmosphere of the library, could Yoongi truly be at peace. He was always found.

Park Jimin always found him.

And Jimin would always find ways to bother the pastel boy.

Once, he pulled out Yoongi's chair just as the boy was about to sit down.

He tore out pages of Yoongi's notebooks and even wrote in some, teasing comments and childish insults that weren't really insulting, but annoying all the same.

Countless times he brushed by Yoongi purposely in the halls just to make him drop his books, and under his breath Jimin would chuckle spitefully as he watched Yoongi drop to the floor to pick them up.

These were just a few things. But it seemed that just when Yoongi thought all of Jimin's tricks were beginning to be recycled, something new would surface. Nothing physically harmful, at least not to a strong degree, but again, annoying all the same. One day as Yoongi was preparing to purchase a drink from the vending machine in the school cafeteria, Jimin came up at the last second and snatched his coins from him, then used them to purchase a drink of his own. And this especially bothered Yoongi since he couldn't bear to go a day without his favorite drink, and so he had to trouble his friend Hoseok for some money.

But Yoongi never complained. At least not verbally.

To an onlooker, the pastel boy couldn't have looked more unbothered. Then again, no one could really know for sure how Yoongi felt about being targeted by the most intimidating boy at school, but he sure seemed not to give a crap. Perhaps that was another reason he drew attention. His attitude. The innocent-looking pastel boy, quiet in nature, 90% of the time in his own world, paid little mind to his bully, the school's infamous "bad boy."

That only fueled Jimin's rage. The feeling of being ignored, disregarded by this little pastel-wearing seventeen-year-old who probably thought he was "all that" and who didn't have time enough to waste to even speak to Jimin, not even a 'hey, watch where you're going' or 'leave me alone.' And perhaps it wouldn't have been so frustrating if he got at least some kind of reaction, of fear, anger, shock, anything. But there was nothing, not even a second-long glance to link the flames of Jimin's eyes with whatever was in Yoongi's.

Jimin didn't even know what color Yoongi's eyes were. And he had never heard his voice, either, because even when the pastel boy was within sight and Jimin could see his mouth moving, his words were uttered so softly, too softly, that it didn't sound as though he was speaking at all.

It was almost unsatisfying to bully him. But Jimin stuck with it, because he was Park Jimin, and Park Jimin wasn't about to let his pride deflate by allowing this boy who had been ignoring him for so long to just be off the hook.

And, perhaps, there was another reason for his relentlessness in targeting the pastel boy that he wasn't fully aware of. Maybe it was the way Yoongi dressed. Or, again, the fact Yoongi deliberately ignored him. Or maybe it was because of the rumor that had gone around the school that the pastel boy was gay.

And so was Park Jimin. Except none but one else knew it, and none but that one other had ever even suspected it.

And if Jimin could do something about it, no one else ever would.

It didn't seem like a challenging task. Keeping up his unjust treatment against the pastel boy, his usual scowls and sneers and malicious laughter. Yoongi irked him. So finding motivation to ruin his day was easy. It should have always been easy. But things began to change the day Jimin pushed the bar too far.

Things changed the day Park Jimin took an extreme initiative just to get the pastel boy to meet his gaze.