seventeen: bittersweet

Jimin didn't know when it happened but he suddenly found himself sitting on Yoongi's bed with the other lying on his back, staring blankly at the ceiling.

It was so bizarre to see him like this.

"...your room is cute."

"Thanks."

Prior to this moment, Jimin had been oh so briefly introduced to Yoongi's father and older sister. But Yoongi was being impatient and selfish right now and didn't want to share Jimin, who had chosen to stay in hopes of it making him feel better.

So now here they were, in Yoongi's cute, pastel decorated room, with its pale yellow and white walls, wood-paneled flooring, dresser with several Studio Ghibli figurines, some books and paper mâché animals, and a closet which Jimin had no doubt was filled with all of Yoongi's adorable sweaters and shirts and things. Fairy lights were strung across the wall. There was a small shelf attached to the wall above a white desk, both of which held two small succulents each.

Cute, just like Yoongi.

Except now, as Jimin looked at Yoongi, he wasn't thinking about how cute the boy was. All he could see was Yoongi's saddened heart pouring out into the air in the form of an empty stare.

"...Jungkook's gay, too."

In shock, Jimin turned to Yoongi, who hadn't moved, but now, he had on a more resolute expression.

"I think I'm justified enough to say that at this point," Yoongi breathed. "An eye for an eye, you know? I don't usually think that way but I'm just really upset right now. Besides...I know you wouldn't tell anyone."

Yoongi let out another sigh, slowly rising to sit in an upright position. His glasses nearly slid off his nose but he pushed them back up. He glanced at Jimin.

"...you don't mind if I talk, do you?"

"This is your house," Jimin pointed out. "You have first say in things."

"Yeah, but I guilt-tripped you into staying, didn't I?"

"It's fine. I owe you this much."

"...what about your family, do they know you're-"

"I told them I'm staying at a friend's house for the night. I didn't specify Namjoon. If they question me, so be it...I'll get around it..."

Yoongi smiled a bit. Truly, he was grateful Jimin hadn't turned him down. He really would have been alone then.

"Thank you, Jimin."

The mint-haired boy looked down at his hands and intertwined his fingers. Jimin sat still and watched and listened.

"...Jungkook's younger brother outed him to his family about a year ago," he started out by explaining. "For what reason, I can't quite remember...I think they had been fighting or something and Jungkook's brother happened to find out about him being gay, and so he told their parents as a way of venting. And Jungkook...didn't get the best response."

There was sympathy lined in Yoongi's words. No...not just sympathy. A bit of empathy, too.

"He didn't have anyone to turn to," Yoongi continued. "No one who understood him. No gay friends or any friends at all who could even attempt to comfort him. He was depressed, and alone. And then one day, weeks after I started coming to school with my dyed hair and wearing the outfits that I do, this timid boy came up to me...and told me in a tearful voice how much he admired me. I was dumb, I didn't connect the dots at first, but then I realized what he meant. And my heart went out to him."