thirty-eight: room for forgiveness

It came as a disappointment to Yoongi and Jimin that both boys had to part ways late that afternoon. However Yoongi had received a call from his father asking if the boy could help him with something again, and Jimin had soon after gotten a text from his brother saying he wanted to talk. And Jimin, for one, wasn't about to pass this up.

He didn't know what it could be about. He only had ideas. Whatever it was, though, Jimin wanted to be there. He honestly felt like the cracks in his and Jihyun's relationship had been mended, and now the younger didn't have to feel so anxious about being around him.

As they stood outside the door to Jimin's house Yoongi slowly and sadly released his boyfriend from a hug. "Text me when you can, okay, Jimin?"

"I will."

"I'll see you tomorrow. Love you."

"Love you, too."

It felt so natural already. Yet, still did Jimin's heart swoon at the words. He watched with loving eyes as Yoongi made his way down the sidewalk in the direction of his house, turning around and waving once he reached the end of the block.

Jimin waved back, then went into his house.

A gentle quietness hung in the air. Leaving his shoes by the door, Jimin made his way into the kitchen, only realizing once he saw his brother sitting alone at the table that he still had on Yoongi's sweater.

"You're looking awfully bright today."

Jimin offered a nervous little smile.

"That your boyfriend's?"

"Yeah," Jimin replied as he pulled out a chair to sit down. Boyfriend. "I asked to borrow it for today."

"Kinda suits you. More natural, ya know?"

It felt so relieving to hear. On the inside, Jimin grinned with happiness at his brother's comment. On the outside he just nodded and breathed a soft thank you.

For a moment Jihyun remained silent, stirring his coffee as he stared down at it with inscrutable eyes. Jimin watched him. And he waited patiently. Surely, the man had more to say than simply complimenting his little brother's outfit for the day - granted, that did mean a lot to him, and Jimin wouldn't have complained if that were all it was. But he knew better.

"How was your day at school?"

"Good," Jimin replied.

"Did anyone give you a hard time?"

"Not really, no. I got some weird stares but they didn't really bother me." The boy shrugged, then thought back fondly on the hug he'd shared with his friends earlier that day. "It was a good day."

"Good. I'm glad."

The faintest of smiles graced Jihyun's lips. He hasn't raised his head yet. And Jimin didn't want to believe it, but it almost seemed as though his brother was ashamed to.

"Jihyun, are you okay?"

"Perfectly fine," he said, glancing at the younger for a second so as to reassure him. "Didn't sleep well last night, guess I'm feelin' the effects a little late, maybe. But it's nothing. Don't worry."

"Well, what did you want to talk to me about?"

This question earned Jimin his brother's silence again. More prolonged this time, and the younger felt a wave of unease wash over his heart briefly. Jihyun hardly ever showed a quiet or solemn side. And it never failed to raise Jimin's concern.

"A few years ago," Jihyun began after some time, "you know, that day I punched my friend in the face and broke off contact with him..."

He paused as a heavy cloud seemed to settle over the room.