forty-one: talk to me [[ extra ]]

He had been the one to ask.

This was his idea, and yet he was the one freaking out about it.

Yes, for the first time in his life, Kim Seokjin, ladies man, felt nervous about a date.

Then again the date wasn't with a lady, so perhaps that had something to do with it.

He didn't want to back out of it. Not in the slightest, in fact it wasn't even an option, because with how long Jin had spent contemplating before actually asking Namjoon out, it would be nothing but a waste and a heartbreak if he chickened out.

He had since stopped denying his interest in the boy, so the only obstacle now was overcoming nerves.

Pacing back and forth in his room, sadly, didn't do much for him. After about forty-five minutes he caved in and decided to contact an expert.

"The gaylord himself."

He pulled up Yoongi's number.

It rang five times before he picked up.

"Jin? What's up?"

"Took you long enough to answer."

"...it didn't. And I'm with Jimin."

"Oh?" He winked even though Yoongi couldn't see him. "And what were you two up to?"

"Making out, Jin, do you really want me to go into detail—ow, Jimin, I'm sorry..."

"I'll pass on the details," Jin said, his nerves suddenly reminding him why he had called Yoongi in the first place. "Question, I had a question—no, I need help, like serious help, Yoongi, and you usually have good advice, and I'm panicking??"

"Whoa, okay, just calm down, Jin, what's wrong?"

"My date is tonight."

"Your date?"

"With Namjoon??"

"Oh." A lightbulb seemed to go on over the boy's head as he hummed thoughtfully in response. "Right. Now I remember."

"Yoongi, this isn't like me, I don't freak out about dates," Seokjin blurted, "I didn't even feel nervous about my first date with my first girlfriend, but now all of a sudden it's hitting me?? Like, what if I go overboard and overdress, or I show up to his house lookin' all casual and Namjoon's there wearing Louis Vuitton?? Or what I stutter too much and make myself look like an idiot? Worse, what if I make him feel awkward?? I don't wanna screw this up for him, he's the one who wanted to go on a date with me so bad before I came to my senses..."

There was silence on the other end of the line.

"...Yoongi put you on speakerphone, this is Jimin."

Seokjin felt his face grow warm in embarrassment. "Wow, thanks. You coulda warned me."

"Jin, for what it's worth, you really don't need to worry about Namjoon," Jimin said, softly but in an encouraging tone of voice. "Friendly reminder, he's kinda head over heels for you."

"Regardless," Seokjin quickly interjected, "that somehow makes me feel worse. If I screw up, he could lose interest."

"Mm. Doubtful."

Jin made a face he wished the other boys could see. "Why?"

"He probably won't like that I'm saying this," Jimin began, "but this morning Joon called me to rant about how excited he was about this. He's a little nervous, too, but he knows it's normal."