{Chapter One} Too Bad

I heard a car horn outside, followed by Alejandro's voice, so I walked over to my window to see what was going on. There was an old man there, sat in a wheelchair with a younger boy hovering over him. They looked familiar.

"Heard you guys coming all the way down the road." Alejandro joked, holding out his hand for the elder man to shake. He looked different now. He wasn't dressed in his police uniform, but blue jeans and a grey shirt with a white and green flannel over the top.

"Good to see ya." The man in the wheelchair replied. He looked like a cowboy, almost. He had one of those big hats and long hair, much like the younger boy's beside him. I decided to go downstairs. I had nothing else to really do in my room and I wanted to find out who these people were. I made sure I looked okay and dragged myself down the staircase. I could still hear them talking outside.

When I saw them up close, I knew I had definitely met them before. "Camila, you remember Simon, right?" Alejandro figured. Once his name had been mentioned, I remembered exactly who he was. I didn't have that many memories with him that I could remember, but I definitely spent a lot of time around him when I was younger.

"Yeah," I said, truthfully. I knew who he was, I just didn't know who he was... if that makes sense. I smiled down at him and outstretched my hand for him to shake. "Simon... you're looking good." I greeted. He seemed happy to see me, with a big smile stretched across his face.

"Well, I'm still dancing." He joked, obviously referring to his wheelchair and making me smile again. He didn't look that different, or act unlike he did before. It seemed like nothing ever changed in this place. Almost every person and every thing looked exactly the same as it did the last time I was here. "I'm glad you're finally here. Alejandro here hasn't shut up about it since he told me you were coming."

I looked over to the said man and saw that he was awkwardly staring at nothing. His face told me he was embarrassed. "Alright, keep exaggerating. I'll roll you in the mud." Alejandro joked, threateningly, as he turned to face the other direction.

"Not before I ram you in the ankle!" Simon joked, pushing his wheelchair back, so that he could turn it around and go after his friend, who was now jumping from side to side like a child. It was slightly embarrassing. "Bring it." He joked, putting his fists up. I shook my head and looked over to the younger boy, who was now looking back at me.

"Uh... hi, I'm Taylor." He explained, nodding his head. He had much longer hair than I remembered. It was past his shoulders now by quite a few inches. I nodded, slowly, but he seemed to take that as a sign that I'd forgotten. "We, uh... We used to make mud pies when we were little." He told me, laughing slightly.

"Right. No, I remember." I assured him, nodding my head again. He also seemed happy to see me, but he was looking at me in a different way to his dad. I couldn't quite decipher what it was, but it was there. He seemed happy, yet nervous at the same time. I decided to change the subject, not really knowing what else to say. "Are they always like this?"

"Uh... It's getting worse with old age." He joked. I could see myself being friends with him; he was nice. In the corner of my eye, I saw Alejandro and Simon coming back over to us.

"So," Alejandro started, slamming his hand down on something behind me. "What do you think?" He asked, looking at whatever it was he was referring to. I turned around to see a truck. It was reddy-orange and the paint was faded. It looked old.

"What?" I asked, slightly confused as to why he was asking me. I didn't know that much about cars, so I wasn't exactly the best person to ask.

"Your homecoming present." Alejandro told me, gesturing to the truck he was now leaning on. My eyes slightly widened. He'd gotten me a truck? It was old and not something I'd ever usually think about driving... but I loved it. It suited me perfectly and I could definitely picture myself behind the wheel.

"This?" I asked, in shock, just making sure. It was actually perfect and I was extremely grateful. Alejandro smiled, confirming that it was mine. He seemed happy that I was excited.

"Just bought it off Simon, here." He added, briefly glancing down at the old man and putting a hand on his shoulder. I placed my hands on the side of the large vehicle, in utter shock. This was so cool. Everyone seemed pleased that I was happy about it.

"I totally rebuilt the engine." Taylor told me, almost making my jaw drop. How did he know how to do that? I was the same age as him and I barely knew how to drive a car, never mind build one.

"Come on!" I blurted out, in disbelief. He nodded, showing me that he was being honest, as he laughed at my shocked face. "Oh my gosh! Th- this is perfect! Not even joking." I exclaimed, as I reached for the door handle. This was a good change. I liked this. I pulled the door open, ready to climb inside, but I accidentally hit Taylor, as he was walking past.

The bottom of the door dug into his thigh and he groaned, but didn't say anything, as I apologised. I climbed in and he limped his way around to the other side. "Told you she'd love it." I heard Simon tell Alejandro, as I was about to close the door. "I'm down with the kids." He joked. Yep, he was definitely a dad.

"Oh, yeah, dude. You're the bomb." Alejandro replied, sarcastically. I couldn't see him, but I guaranteed he was rolling his eyes. They seemed like good friends. It was nice that my dad wasn't lonely.

I looked around at the cabin of my truck, feeling so excited. I was happy to not have to ride to school with Alejandro. Arriving in a police car probably wasn't the first impression I wanted to give out.

"Let's see, uh... you gotta double pump the clutch when you shift, but... besides that, you should be good." He informed me. I hadn't drove in a while and I'd never driven a truck, before, so I was a little confused as to where and what everything was, but I'd get used to it.

"That's this one?" I asked, pointing to what I thought was the clutch, just to make sure. This was actually amazing. I was so happy to finally have my own car and to have one that I actually liked was even better. Trucks were awesome. They were the kind of cars you'd see at the scene of an accident with unscratched paint, while what was left of the other car was lying upside down in the middle of the road.

"Yeah, right there." Taylor replied, answering my question. I didn't really have anything else to ask, so I started playing around and getting ready to drive.

"Alright!" I said, enthusiastically. I looked over at him, already deciding in my head that he could be my first friend here. "Do you want a ride to school or something?" I offered, excited to show off my new vehicle. He looked back at me, with a slightly smaller smile.

"Oh, I go to school on preservation." He answered, turning down my offer. That bummed me out a little. Looks like I was going to have to make friends by myself. Either that, or be the person that eats their lunch alone in the bathroom.

"Right, right." I mumbled, showing him that I was okay with it. "That's too bad. It would've been nice to know one person." I admitted, continuing to fiddle with everything in the cabin. He just smiled, sympathetically.