{Chapter Seven} La Push

Being in the cafeteria was strange. I didn't know what to do with myself. I kept turning around to look at her, feeling this strange, empty feeling in the pit of my stomach. What was wrong with me? Why wasn't I good enough for her?

I looked over to her table once more. All had food in front of them, but non of them were eating it. Every now and then, they'd take a few sips from the red cans in the middle of the table, but they didn't eat.

Dinah was sat at one end of the table, with Harry's arms wrapped around her. Both Ashley and Shawn were just talking, where as she was just sitting there. She picked up a piece of food from her tray and for a second, I thought she was actually going to eat it. But instead, she just stared at it, as if it was foreign to her.

Harry said something to her and she looked over to me, seeing me already staring back at her. This seemed to make her angry. She looked away and slammed the piece of food down that she was previously holding, clearly irritated now.

I tried to not let it bother me. I was sitting at a table with my friends, so I could at least try and pay attention to them. I slipped my bag off of my shoulders and onto the ground beside my feet.

"Hey," Austin called for my attention. "La Push, baby. You in?" He asked, doing a strange hand gesture. I squinted my eyes, confused. La Push? Was that a different language, or...?

"Should I know what that means?" I laughed, sitting down in my seat. Everyone laughed a little. They were all there: Demi, Austin, Bea, Kelly and even Olly, who now how a giant bandaid stuck on his forehead.

"La Push Beach." Kelly explained. "Down at the Quileute Rez. We're all going tomorrow." He continued, filling me in, instead of just expecting to me to know everything about this town. It was small, but that didn't mean I knew it well. I hadn't been here that long.

"Yeah, there's a big swell coming in." Bea told me, taking a bite of her food.

"And I don't just surf the internet." Austin joked, standing up and doing the action with his hands. He didn't look like a surfer. He looked like an idiot.

"Austin, you stood up once and it was a foam board." Bea explained, after Kelly had joined in, copying Austin's 'surfer' pose. That didn't sound very fun to me. Surfing wasn't something I wanted to try. I'd probably end up killing myself or someone else. Demi seemed to notice my hesitation.

"But, there's whale watching, too. Come with us?" She pleaded. I felt bad for her. If she went, everyone else would probably surf too and Demi wasn't the kind of person who'd join them. She was more like me. Quiet and secretly nerdy.

"La Push, baby. It's... La Pushhhhhh." Austin joked, staring at me seriously and making me laugh. These people were all idiots, but they were growing on me. I was glad to have them as my friends. The only one of them I'd consider to be normal was Demi and even then, she made me question it sometimes.

"Okay, I'll go if you stop saying that." I joked, taking a bite of Demi's food, as everyone laughed. It'd be fun. What could go wrong?

- - - / - - - / - - - / - - - / - - -

I'd gone up to the salad bar to get myself some food, but I ended up just messing around. I was alone, so I put all my salad in a bowl and started making into pretty patterns. I was distracted and unaware of my surroundings. There was an apple that I was going to add onto the top of my salad sitting at the side.

"Edible art?" I heard Lauren's raspy voice ask, very close to me. I jumped, not expecting her to be there and knocked my apple off of the counter. Without even thinking about it, she stuck her foot out and kicked the apple up, catching it between her hands. It didn't touch the floor once. How did she do that?