{Chapter Two} Strange Boy

Driving to school felt great. The car had a radio, a plus I hadn't expected. I spent the entire ride to school listening to music and every now and then, turning the music down, so that I could see better. That sounds stupid, but if anyone tells you they don't do that, they're lying. The truck drove a lot smoother than I'd expected.

My first day at a new school. It's March. Middle of the semester. Great.

I found a spot and parked, climbing out as quickly as I could. The only flaw I'd recently found was that the truck made so much noise. It practically roared, as soon as the key had turned in the ignition. I didn't like the attention that brought me.

I was wearing a brown, waterproof jacket; something I wasn't used to. It felt like a biohazard suit on me. I threw the strap of my bag over my shoulder, before stuffing my hands into my pockets.

"Nice ride." A random guy called out. I couldn't tell whether he was being sarcastic or not, but I thanked him anyways, as I walked past. I was nervous. Like, really nervous.

- - - / - - - / - - - / - - - / - - -

I walked around blindly, my nose buried in a piece of paper that was supposed to be a map. Either I was really stupid or this map just wasn't very good. Probably a bit of both. I switched through a couple of papers, just looking at them and trying to take in as much information as possible.

I felt someone touch my shoulder and almost jumped, but managed to contain myself. I looked up to see a boy now stood at the side of me. He looked to be the same age. He was wearing a black t-shirt and had a bright red backpack slung over his shoulders, as well as a black, backwards cap on his head.

"You're Karla Cabello, the new girl. Hi, I'm Austin, the eyes and ears of this place. Um... anything you need? Tour guide, lunch date... shoulder to cry on?" He offered, talking quite quickly. He was very friendly, but not necessarily annoying. He seemed nice.

"Uh... I'm really kind of the more... suffer in silence type." I explained, only half joking. I liked to keep my problems to myself. He had a nice smile. I bet a lot of the girls here thought he was charming. I looked forwards, still trying to figure out where I was going. The boy didn't fall behind, however. He kept up with me, walking at a steady pace.

"Good headline for your future. I'm on the paper and you're news, baby, front page." He offered and I could tell he was just trying to be nice, but I didn't see what he was getting at. The thought of being front page for the school's newspaper was not appealing to me. I was already being stared at every five seconds, I didn't want to attract anymore unnecessary attention.

"No, I'm not!" I almost, whined, pleading to him with my eyes. I didn't really know this guy, but if he was persistent, I'd probably bury myself in a hole. "You-um-I... Please don't have any sort of-" He cut me off.

"Woah, woah, chillax." He stopped me, putting his hands out, to show he was serious. He was still smiling, but in a nice way. "No feature." He shrugged, not pressuring me on it. I was grateful for that. He was sweet. I liked him already.

"Okay, thanks." I replied, almost laughing. I would've been very embarrassed seeing my face on the front of a newspaper. Especially one that was specifically for all of my classmates and teachers.

"Cool."

- - - / - - - / - - - / - - - / - - -

Volleyball.

Great.

Just because I used to live in Phoenix, didn't mean I was athletic. I was actually nothing like most of the girls there. For one, they were all super tanned (which is understandable, because I mean... it's Phoenix), where as I had quite a pale complexion. They all had blonde hair, where as I was a brunette. They spent their time playing volleyball or cheerleading, where as I occupied myself by burying my face in a book.