{Chapter Eight} Port Angeles

"What did your friends mean about, you know... 'The Jaureguis don't come here'?" I asked Taylor, as we were walking along the shore. We decided to go explore, as everyone else was irritating me. Except Demi, but she was in her own world.

"You caught that, huh?" He laughed, nervously, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his jacket. I looked over, expectantly. "I'm not really supposed to say anything about it."

"Hey, I can keep a secret." I assured, wanting him to continue. Any information I could get about Lauren or her family, I wanted.

"Um..." he started, suddenly laughing a little. "Really, it's just like an old, scary story." He told me, looking at me and laughing again, as we continued to walk.

"Well... I wanna know." I continued, pushing him to tell me. I really wanted to know more about this fascinating girl. She consumed 90% of my thoughts, so I believed it was at least fair that I knew some things about her.

"Okay... um..." He began, not really knowing how to explain it. He searched for the right words to say. "Did you know Quileutes are supposedly descended from... wolves?"

"What?" I let out, in surprise. "Like... wolves?"

"Yeah." He laughed.

"Like, real wolves?" I questioned again.

"Well, uh... that's the legend of our tribe." He started.

"Okay," I said, showing him that I was listening. "So what's the story about the Jaureguis?"

"Well, they're supposedly descended from this, like... enemy clan." He explained, finally getting to the good stuff. "My great grandfather, the chief, found them hunting on our land... but they claimed to be something different, so... we made a treaty with them... If they promised to stay off Quileute lands, then we wouldn't expose who they really were..." He taught me, smiling throughout.

"To the pale faces." He added.

"I thought they just moved here." I thought aloud. Bea had told me they'd just moved here from Alaska.

"Or just moved back." Taylor corrected, looking at me with a smirk, trying to see my reaction.

"Right." I replied, taking in what he was saying. If they'd just moved back, they'd have to be really old, right? That didn't make sense.

Suddenly, I was snapped out of my train of thoughts by Demi's scream. I panicked and jumped, looking up at her. She was running past me, as Kelly chased her with something in his hands. They were just playing.

"Well... what are they, really?" I asked Taylor, now facing him again. He was grinning, clearly finding something amusing. Probably me. Everyone else seemed to.

He chuckled, staring at my intrigued face. "It's just a story, Mila." He continued to laugh. He didn't understand the frustration I felt. I wanted to know so much about this incredible woman, who wasn't willing to give any information. "Come on, let's go."

- - - / - - - / - - - / - - - / - - -

That night, when I got home, I googled the 'Quileute Legends', wanting to know more about what Taylor had told me. I clicked on a website that seemed reliable. It was a book. An entire book dedicated to what it was that Taylor was talking about. I wanted it.