Outbreak - Chapter Nine: Quarantined.

[Present day]

[Continuation of Amber's Story]

After being rescued by the soldiers after well... Rescuing them from a horde of flesh eating zombies, I'm in the back of their truck on my way back to a quarantine zone up north. The Soldier who I jumped to is sitting beside me, a worn out and tired expression is all over his face, like he hasn't slept in days.

I Ask him why did they waste time and risk their lives saving me, "Our orders are to round as many survivors as possible and evacuate this city." He replied.

"Your Orders? So the government is still running?" I asked curiously.

He went silent at my question before saying, "The entire country is in collapse and it is now completely cut off from the rest of the world, the president ordered evacuation of all citizens across the entire US before Washington was overrun."

I looked at him in shock and replied in a slightly scared voice. "God... How did this happen...?"

"Z2105, this... virus... or whatever it is, it's rumoured to be either a biological terrorist attack by Al Qaeda or linked to the Russian Government trying to bring the US to its knees unleashing an army of savage people on to us all" He replied.

My eyes widened at what he said and I looked out the window at the devastation that's happened over the past few days. "H-how did it spread so quickly..?" I asked.

"That... We're still trying to figure out... You seem to handle yourself pretty well out there, my men wouldn't have made it without your assistance, and you killed a lot of those things in the process, all of us are in your debt ma'am." He Replied.

"I'm a mess, if anything I'm in your debt, but listen if you're team are rounding up survivors you need to look in this makeshift quarantine zone, it's like a sectioned off street, there are scientists there studying the virus as well as several other survivors." I said.

"Our orders for now are to go back to base to conduct tests to ensue you and the other survivors that we've rounded up aren't carrying the infection, then and only if you're clean you're going across the Canadian border to safety ma'am." He replied.

"Across the border!? No! I promised those people I'd bring back some kind of help!" I Shouted.

"Ma'am as soon as we get you and others to safety we'll back for them in a week." He Replied.

"In a week!? They were already bad off without the proper medical supplies! We need to go back there now! They need help!" I Shouted.

"Ma'am if you don't calm down I'll be forced to sedate you and throw you in the back of our convoy with the other civilians, since you saved my men with your tanker stunt I'd behave yourself if I were you and enjoy the ride in the leading vehicle." He shouted back at me.

I Remain silent and look out the window until we pull up somewhere.

Hours went by and it felt like an eternity of driving and endless turret fire from the gunners seat of the Humvee, we hit the military base by night fall, the place looks like a fortress with choppers flying over head and huge walls surrounding the compound, hundreds of chard and burning bodies litter the outter perimeter.

As we enter the inside we all step out of the vehicles and we're all placed in the firing line until they check us for signs of carrying the infection, one by one the scientists scan the people, those that test positive for the virus are taken away to a sectioned off area covered in plastic wrapping, pretty standard stuff for a quarantine zone.

Finally it's time to check me, I think all is well until the scanner tests positive for the virus... My heart stops and time stands still, a soldier grabs me by the hair and carries me away to the quarantined area.