12

Tobin's POV

"Hey Tobs" I heard as someone made their way towards the table I was sitting at. I turned my head to see Christen looking really anxious.
"What's up Chris?" I asked, my voice laced with concern. "We need to talk." She said in a serious tone. Uh oh.

I told her that we could talk after school because practice had been cancelled due to the snow. She agreed and then left. Now I just have to endure the last two class periods before I can get an explanation as to why Christen wants to talk.
During my last period I realized we never decided on a place to talk. I slyly pulled out my phone so my teacher wouldn't see and texted her:
Hey, we never decided on a place to meet, want me to pick you up from your house and we can go to the diner?
I put my phone back in my pocket and it buzzed about five minutes later:
Don't pick me up, my car is already here. I'll just meet you at the diner.
My heart sank a tiny bit due to her harshness. Why does she seem so cold?

School finally ended and I was in my car before I knew it. I pulled out of the parking lot and made my way to the diner. I walked in to get a seat at our usual booth, greeting Margot along the way. I sat down and awaited anxiously for Christens arrival.

She walked in with an expression that was very hard to read. When she got to the booth I gave her a small smile which was returned hesitantly.
"Alright Chris," I began "what the hell is going on? Because it's really scaring me." I noticed that she was having trouble looking me in the eyes. "Please just tell me what's wrong." I pleaded.

Her eyes began to fill with tears and she got up and began to walk outside to her car. I got up after her and followed. "Christen!" I shouted. She kept walking and got into her car. Before she could even start it, I opened the passenger door and got inside. "Please, talk to me" I begged. She turned her head and opened her mouth, trying to say something. Until finally words came out. "I don't think we should do this anymore." Her voice broke at the end and tears began to slide down her cheeks.

"What do you mean?" I questioned. "Did I do something wrong?" I felt my eyes start to water. She put her hand on my shoulder, "Tobin you did nothing wrong, but do you really think this is what you want?" She questioned. "Of course this is what I want! Where's this coming from?" I exclaimed.

She didn't answer. So I asked again. "What do you think people are going to say?" She finally said, avoiding eye contact. "That's what this is about? What people think? Christen I don't give a flying fuck what people think about my relationship. I want to be with you! I want you! And if anyone has something to say about that they can suck it up." I grabbed her hand "look at me," I began "look me in the eyes, and tell me that you don't feel anything towards me."

She turned her head upwards and connected her green eyes with mine. "I can't Tobin! I obviously have feelings for you. I'm just scared" she cried. I pulled her into a hug and she rested her head on my shoulder.
"As long as I'm here, you don't have to be scared okay?" I questioned.
"Okay."