Chapter 19

The morning dawned bright and early. I got up, stretched, put on the change of clothes I'd packed away, and then finally said goodbye to Link's quiet little treehouse.

Link had graciously lent me his entire house for the night, saying he would be fine elsewhere. I supposed he didn't want to infringe on my privacy, and the courtesy was appreciated, but it was still a little much. I wondered where he was even staying.

After I was fully awake, I headed down to the village proper to find Link standing on one of the rock formations near Sera's roof, looking like he was planning something. I was content to stand with the others and watch what he was going to do, but as I walked closer he turned around, and waved when he saw me.

"Oh, Y/N! Good morning! Come here, I want you to see this." 

I obligingly climbed the vines and jumped across the small gap to find him holding a strangely bird-shaped piece of grass that had been growing there. It looked not unlike the calls he used to call Epona sometimes. He grinned. "You might want to duck down a little, too."

I did so, wondering what kind of bird he'd call, and he began to play a short-but piercing tune. The others' heads all turned towards the sky, and I looked to find a circling hawk slowly begin its descent. It thankfully avoided my head as it swept in to land on Link's arm. 

I stood up as the bird, now perched comfortably on his arm, looked over at him and squawked almost affectionately. Link grinned back, then looked at me. "Y/N, this is my friend the hawk. Hawk, meet Y/N."

The bird blinked at me, and I stepped closer to get a better look. Birds were always one of my favorite animals--in Kakiriko we'd had so many fables about them.  It was even said that the spirit that protected the mountain took the form of a hawk. Maybe it would bring good luck.

"He's been a friend for years, ever since Rusl taught me how to call him." 

"Yeah!" Talo exclaimed. "Ooh, Link! Show her the thing with the beehive--"

But I never got to find out what "the thing with the beehive" was, because Talo cut himself off at the sight of an entire platoon of the Hyrule Royal Guard marching in from the village gate.

As they got closer I was both relieved and disappointed that it was not Ethan's squadron; while I wanted to see him again I was not keen on having to deal with that Selthrus guy anytime soon.

Link and I both leapt down from our spot to see what all the fuss was about. "Hero Link." The captain of the guard, marching ahead of the others, suddenly stepped forward and knelt. "It is an honor."

"...W-What's this about?" Link simply raised a brow at the man kneeling at his feet, though the tone of his voice gave away just how put off he was by this.

"Her Grace has requested your presence at Hyrule Castle at once--actually, she has requested the both of you to come, with two others. They will be collected in Castle Town."

"Whoa, wait, me too?" I asked. "Link, what's going on?" Did this have anything to do with our mission or what we were searching for?

"I think I know..." He looked less than enthused. "Guess we're taking a detour back to Castle Town. I'll go get the horses ready..."

"Link, wait!" I called after him, but he was already stalking off, looking rather upset. Evidently this turn of events had put him in a bad mood. I still couldn't for the life of me figure out why we were needed in Castle Town, and this uncharacteristic behavior from him only put me more on edge.

But, as was starting to become a habit of his, he left me standing there with unanswered questions.

***