Chapter I

Viktor's POV
When I had imagined Japan, it had been full of pink blossoms. Trees would stood high above my head with their flickering flowers flying free and covering everything. A layer of floral cherry blossoms would bless every step I took in the land of wonder.

I had imagined the smell of ramen wafting to my nose as soon as I stepped outside. The constant hussle and bussle that was described in movies drawing shouts and laughter from shops that sold odd food for a living. People would pass on bikes with their mouths covered out of respect. Groups of teens in anime school uniforms hopping merrily down the streets. I had imagined looking up to see some of the craziest buildings I had ever seen. After all, that was all the media seemed to think of Japan.

Let me tell you, the media lies.

My first impression of Japan, unfortunately, was the cold walls of an overcrowded airport. It smelled of cold pine. Cleaner, actually. Not exactly an inviting smell.

White walls stood high above my head, pristine and cleaned to the point I imagined myself walking past to see my reflection. Accompanying the hospital-like walls was a slick, dark grey tile under my feet. It was the type of tile you would see in bathrooms of fancy restaurants. Minus the annoying suds of soup that seemed to stick the floor of every bathroom.

On the walls were large signs. Red flashing words would appear and disappear in a matter of seconds. Delayed flights and new arrivals were constantly flashing by to anyone who paid enough attention. Every few seconds a low beeping sound would come from a machine I couldn't pick out from the rest.

Although the place seemed so nice, the crowd didn't match it. Cries of children filled my ears as parents took ahold of their younger ones to lead them home.

The crowds were no joke, either. It seemed people pressed against me on all sides as I desperately attempted to get to the luggage area. Glances were sent my way every few seconds. Some were of interest, others of distain. I was sure the same emotions were flashing across my eyes.

It made me feel rather claustrophobic. The chill of panic was slowly bubbling up from my stomach, putting me on the edge of my toes. Small bumps from the tired people around me would force me to grit my teeth together. A small annoyance of the situation was growing astoundingly. We were all heading in the same direction, for the same purpose, and I could do nothing to make the slow moving crowd go faster.

My mother had sent me here without as much as a warning. A halfhearted 'this is an amazing opportunity' speech given to me less than a week ago and I was signed off to a boarding school halfway across the world. A lie... it was all a freaking lie.

Opprotunity my ass...

My mother had finally gotten tired of me, it seemed. That simple fact found it's way into my heart and twisted it in pain. 

Almost like a monster had taken ahold of my heart and proceeded to dig it's nasty, unclean claws into the soft muscle.

"Hey, watch it!" An annoyingly high pitched cry suddenly came from a few feet ahead of me, startling me out of my stargaze. My eyes flickered up to meet the golden hair of the teen I had been forced to sit beside on the plane. From what I had picked up, his name was Yurio. Something given to him by a friend.

He was angrily snatching a price of luggage from an older male. Even from so far away I could see the fury lying behind his eyes. His glare was something with fire behind it. Almost as if he was a match waiting to be turned into a forest fire.

"Yurio!" I suddenly found myself calling out to him. My headphones shifted on my shoulders as I pushed past the women in front of me. "Hey, Yurio, Wait!"

Said male had been caught with his mouth open. He had been attempting to retort at the poor man who had made the mistake of picking up the blonde's luggage. The older man had already apologized profusely to the short blonde male, but Yurio didn't seem to bat an eye to his apology. I am sure he would have yelled up a storm at the poor elder if I hadn't have shaken his focus.

Vivid green eyes snapped towards me within a moment, provably catching sight of me awkwardly pushing past guests. My silver hair fell annoyingly out of its part. For a moment I imagined the shaken look I was probably giving off after the stressful evening.

Stressful. Could I call it that? My first plane ride had been a few moment ago, and my heart was still pounding. Perhaps stressful could sum up the experience.

"Don't call me Yurio." The short blonde growled just as I stumbled to his side. Only now, when we were standing instead of seated on a crowded plane, did I notice how I towered over him. It was almost laughable, our height difference. He had to almost crane his neck to glare at me with his sharp eyes.

The retort shot at me only caused me to let out a lighthearted laugh. My blue eyes quickly fart out to the belt with unclaimed luggage. As a first time plane-goer, I felt panic as I didn't see my familiar suitcase. What would I do if it wasn't there? All my items were packed - no, crammed - into my one oversized blue suitcase. My money and everything I owned was in that luggage. What if it was lost? What if I couldn't find it?

"Hey, ice princess. Stop staring at the luggage and tell me what you came to annoy me about." Yurio said with venom in his tone, a low hiss coming from him. He reminded me of a snake in a way. With the graceful way he seemed to move from place to place and the venomous way he came off, it wasn't hard to see why.

"Well I just thought it would be a good idea for us to stick together!" I suddenly chirped, pulling my eyes away from the luggage to look at Yurio. A close-lidded smile lit up my face as I spoke to the potential friend. Negative thoughts slipped from my mind as I did.

No one needed to know what was truly going on in my head.

"We are going to the same place, either way." I say happily, my hand jerking out to grab onto the handle of my luggage when it came into view. It sent a sort of euphoria through me to see it safe and sound. When it came off the conveyor belt I hugged it to my chest like a child. The harsh fabric was welcoming to my sensitive skin.

Yurio lets out a snort, turning to look around the airport. He seemed like a rather calm kid. Angry, but calm. Even his hands were stuffed in his pockets like he just didn't give a shit about anyone else around him. The hair he sported was rather girly, yet I couldn't say much considering my hair a year ago, yet oddly suited the aura he sent out.

"I'm not babysitting you, newbie. Anyway... you reck of wolf." He hisses, green eyes suddenly glaring up at me. Such hate was conveyed through one glance. It made me wonder how this kid functioned. Did he have friends with the sour attitude he protruded? Perhaps he was better once you got past the icy exterior that seemed to stand thick and unbreakable between him and the outside world.

My eyebrows knitted together at the world. Reck of Wolf? The pitch difference in Yurio's speech sent a shiver down my spine. Simple teen attitude had turned into something close to hatred.

"What do you-" I had just began to inquire, my eyes searching the now walking blonde. He was walking faster than I had guessed he ever could. It left me to desperately try and jog to keep up with the short Male. As I spoke, however, another booming voice interrupted us.

"Viktor Nikiforov And Yuri Plisetsky!" The baritone voice drew attention from most of the crowd, causing about one fourth of the surrounded travelers to turn and look at the owner of it.

Near the center of the waiting area, a few feet from me, stood a large man covered by an overcoat. Atop his hat sat an oversized hat which covered most of his face from view. The only thin poking out was an almost comically sized nose. It seemed the large nose plus the dark trench coat gave off odd vibes. Most everyone in the airport was walking around the large man. From afar they looked like a splitting sea.

"Damnit..." A hiss sounded from the short blonde I had been attempting to keep up with. Yurio seemed to have tended at the loud shout, his eyes glaring at the man a few feet away. "Why do they always have to be so damn flashy."

"...They?" I manage to say quietly. My question was directed towards the short blonde, though my eyes were glued to the odd man in the middle of the elevator. From beside me, Yurio let out a snort.

"Yep Newb. Welcome to Japan."