5| No Grass Today

I didn't smoke no grass today
But that's 'cause I'm the one on stage
So, who am I to take away
what makes you feel this great?

AJR, No Grass Today

♡ ────── ♡ ────── ♡

Scarlett's POV

Ethan opens the car door for me, and we walk into the cafe together. "I can't believe it's already September... I feel like I just started school yesterday." I say to Ethan.

"Now everyone is talking about homecoming..." Ethan says, shaking his head.

"It's a little entertaining to hear the drama, though," I laugh.

"I heard people are breaking up with each other to get a better-looking date," Ethan says, putting on his apron.

I roll my eyes and say, "This is why I never go to homecoming with a date."

Ethan looks at me and then looks away. "What?" I ask, turning around so he can tie my apron.

He hesitates with his response while tying the strings and says, "Nothing... I'm surprised you've never been to homecoming with a date."

"I think you're overestimating my charm. But uh... I did ask one guy last year. He said he was too busy to go, but he really meant he wasn't interested in going with me." I say, slightly embarrassed.

"Oh, I'm sorry." He says with a frown.

"It's whatever. Rejection adds character. I just won't ever make the first move again." I say with a forced chuckle.

"Don't let one idiot ruin it for the rest of us." He blurts out.

I notice his cheeks turn slightly pink but ignore what he's implying. "You don't have to lie. Some people aren't meant to have a slow dance partner. I guess it was cringe to dream." I say, patting his shoulder.

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*

When Ethan and I can finally take our break, we head to the couches. "So the first season is kinda, eh, but the seasons after that are great!" I say, pulling it up on my phone.

"Got it," Ethan says, nodding.

Ethan grabs a few Starbursts and hands me the pink and red ones. I still can't believe he doesn't like those flavors. More for me!

"Jim likes Pam, right?" He asks after the episode ends.

"Yes," I say, smiling.

"Do they get together in the end?" He asks.

"I'm not spoiling it for you!" I say, closing the app.

"Please..." He says, pouting. Adorable.

"Nope," I say, tapping his nose. Why did you do that? I don't know.

He gives me a small smile, and I start to blush. What is wrong with you?

I force myself to stand and head back toward the front. Are you sick? You're acting weird. Probably those Starbursts. He could be poisoning me. Right.

Mrs. Cooper sees me and asks, "Can you take out the trash?"

"Ya sure," I say, shrugging.