6 | Fruit of the Poisoned Tree

————— HALEY WAS WITH CAMI, who brought flowers to her brother's grave, to find that someone had spray painted a message over the headstone. Haley gasped as she glanced at Cami. MURDERER. Cami looked only a little distressed. "We'll find someone who did this, Cami." Haley wrapped her arm around her friend, as she wiped a fallen tear, as Cami nodded solemnly. She could remember the two worst days of her life: one was Greyson Gilbert, the other was John Gilbert, both died loved by others, loved by many. "How did you cope with it?" Cami asked her as they both started to walk away from the colosseum, towards the main gates out of the cemetery. Haley sighed. "It wasn't easy, I admit, when I lost not only Greyson, I lost my sister in-law, Miranda. They're my niece and nephew's parents," She clarified at the end. Cami nodded. "John was unexpected. He died of a heart attack, just fell when he tried to get into the house." Haley was going based of what she remembered. "Greyson and Miranda died in a car crash that somehow Elena mysteriously survived." Haley rubbed her face, looking a bit pained. Cami gently grasped her hand, and squeezed it. "To new beginnings. You'll see." Cami smiled a bit wider, Haley laughed, both of them unaware of an spirit, and a male man watching from a distance, both of them had soft smiles on their faces.

In a few states over, Isaiah Mikaelson was currently sipping on his bourbon when his phone had went off. He had been helping Damon rescue Stefan from his demise, or in their case, finding him after graduation, which he was apart of, for the millionth time. Once he noticed Elijah's name on the screen he had answered it. "Elijah." Isaiah greeted his brother, his accent thick as well as his British slang came through. "We need your help." Elijah's voice interrupted his thoughts. Isaiah sat up straighter, looking concerned. "Brother?" Isaiah asked, worry laced in his tone. "Niklaus has sired a child, and Haley is here." Isaiah stood, his eyes wide. "Impossible." He breathed. He knew Haley was there, it was he who helped Haley point directions, but he couldn't believe Klaus was going to be a father. "There is more, Isaiah." Elijah spoke, knowing the next words would hit him. Hard. "Athena's alive." He spoke hesitantly, slowly, knowing the effect it would have on him. Isaiah had blamed himself for the disappearance of his younger sister, as he had thought he was meant to protect her and look after her. Isaiah was also close with her and Rebekah, but it seemed her death had taken a toll on him more than the rest of their siblings. Isaiah's eyes hardened and he clenched his jaw. "Brother, do not think for one second that I am stupid or a bloody idiot." He hissed, his veins slowly crawling underneath his eyes as he was slowly starting to get mad, which wasn't very often. Isaiah Mikaelson rarely got mad, but when he did, no one liked it because it was never pretty. "Do you think so lowly of me, little brother? I swear to you, Athena is alive. She awaits here, anxious to see you." Elijah spoke calmly, understanding that Isaiah would be hard to convince. Elijah knew that Isaiah had blamed himself for Athena's disappearance because he had been the one to watch over her that day, as he was old enough at 15 years old, she only had been 13. "Goodbye, Elijah." Isaiah spoke in a monotone voice, hanging up the phone, not wanting to hear more of the lies he was spewing. He stared intently at the fireplace, hearing footsteps. "It's true. Athena's alive." Bonnie announced. As an Original, and the youngest (after his sister vanished that is), Isaiah had the power to see the dead. It was an offering from a witch who he had rescued a couple of centuries ago. Isaiah stared evenly at the fire, Bonnie's words barely cutting through his mindmind. "Why has she not contacted me? Why hasn't anyone?" He questioned, his voice cracking. Bonnie moved to sit by Isaiah, touching his shoulder, since in an essence of sorts, he was an anchor, however, he couldn't bring back the dead, he could only see and talk to them. "Maddie wanted to tell you. She called you, remember? You was in England, searching for something, and by the time you returned, Athena had left to find Thomas." Bonnie told him softly. Isaiah and Bonnie has a close relationship, they were friends, allies. The Bennett family owed Isaiah, one for saving an old ancestor from dying, and another for helping to free her family. Isaiah turned to look at Bonnie, as a tear slipped down his cheek. He was not a man of emotions, always having them under a mask, but his family, Maddie, his friends, they were his weakness. She wiped his tear with a smile. "Go to New Orleans, see her, Isaiah. You haven't seen her in a thousand years." Bonnie pointed out. "Tell her that I'm okay, and I'm watching over her." She added in, before she had faded away, possibly to find Damon or Jeremy. Isaiah was left alone, in his thoughts, his memories plaguing him.