8• SIXTEEN CANDLES

Friday, October 31st, Halloween, Sabrina and Ivory's birthday.

I walk up the stairs and turn, walking into my room as Sabrina walks out of our bathroom, also into the room finding aunt Hilda hidden inside two white dresses.

She doesn't notice us as she hums 'happy birthday' to herself.

''Aunt Hilda'' i say excitedly, she seems a lot better than she did last night.

''Ooh! morning'' she chuckles, walking out from under the dresses.

''They're gorgeous'' Sabrina looks at the dresses.

''They are, where did they come from?'' i ask in awe.

''It's your mum's wedding dress and reception dress, they lived such a fairy tale, those two, I thought you might wear them tonight, to your baptism, i know only one of you can wear the wedding dress but the reception dress is just as important'' aunt Hilda smiles anxiously.

''Aren't witches only allowed to wear black to their baptism?'' Sabrina asks and we sit down on my bed.

''Oh, that hasn't been the rule for years, decades'' aunt Hilda chuckles.

''You know, you have nothing to be afraid of, my darlings, i mean your aunt Zelda and I are gonna be there we...and we'll make sure nothing bad happens to you'' she says sadly, aunt Zelda really freaked her out.

''And then, you know, you'll see. Tomorrow you're gonna wake up, and well, you'' wonder what all the fuss was about in the first place'' she chuckles, on the verge of tears.

''Do you believe me...my sweet, brave girls? i love you'' she whispers, holding our faces lightly.

We sit in the kitchen quietly.

''Hilda and I have errands to run and preparations to finish...but i've already called Baxter High and told them you're having a terrible outbreak of hives'' aunt Zelda says, sitting in front of us after flicking her tea covered spoon at Salem and Binx.

''What?!''
''What, why? why would you do that aunt Zelda?'' i shout and Sabrina asks after me.

''The day before your dark baptism should be spent in quiet contemplation, reading your satanic verses'' aunt Zelda treats us like children, touching our faces.

''But we haven't said goodbye to our friends yet, we can't just vanish from their lives'' i panic, aunt Zelda shrugs unbothered and i scoff.

''At a minimum, we have to tell them that we're-'' Sabrina is cut off by Ambrose.

''Transferring to some posh private school in Connecticut?'' he chuckles, walking through the kitchen.

''You'll send them a postcard'' aunt Zelda says grabbing her keys.

''postcard? a postcard? you're unbelievable'' i mumble angrily.

''Ambrose will keep you company and keep an eye on you...won't you Ambrose?'' she says like we're 5.

Ambrose holds his spoon of cereal in mid-air, ''but of course, auntie Zee'' he sighs with fake enthusiasm.