Chapter 43

Chapter 43

(The whip, Kris uses pictured above)

Kristophe's POV:

May 8, 2020

    How can an almost 50 year old vampire, disappear from thin air, in a public place of all things?

    This has been my thought for the past week, ever since my Mother went missing. She was in the most populated city in the USA, in a bar of all places, and still, no one saw anything out of the ordinary. Either a whole hell of a lot of people were compelled, or whoever took her was far more powerful then I'm giving them credit for.

    Chase has been hacking nonstop for the past week, trying to find anything that would give us a solid lead. Traffic cams are an easy crack with Chase's skill level it seems and yet, he doesn't see anything strange from the front of the hotel bar. City cameras surround the hotel from almost every angle, covering every exit but still, all Chase sees is Mom walking into the bar and not coming back out.

    It shouldn't be surprising that my mind has gone to the darkest place it could with this information. The person who took my Mother was more powerful than anything I've ever seen or heard of. She was pregnant and I don't think pregnancy and kidnapping mixes so well. To say my state of mind and behavior has been dark doesn't do it justice. Every time I hear our front door open, I immediately expect my Mom to walk in.

    Every time, it's Chase or Benji and I feel like a complete moron. It's like being back in foster care. Just waiting for someone to walk in and care, and yet every time, my hope burns and I'm left feeling empty. This past week has me feeling more and more like the naive child I was and fought to crush down. I'm practical, realistic, and lets be completely honest, I'm a pessimist.

    Mom is dead.

    Everyone keeps trying to find someone who can't be found, who can't be saved... and instead, their all filled with determination, hope, faith... when we should just be mourning her already. Dominic can't get out of bed, he doesn't speak, he only growls or howls... He isn't angry when he growls, we've all learned this recently... He's hurting everywhere, he doesn't want to be touched, or helped... he wants numbness...

    Benji has practically moved in to our Mom's office which has been turned into a make-shift war-room. He's everywhere in the city at all times, looking for any clues he can extract. But I know, I know there's nothing to find. This person who killed her, he was clean, he was smart and he was evil.

    The apartment still looks empty after we had to throw away all the broken furniture and decor from Benji and Dominic's brawl. Apparently, Dominic thought their children could survive, and Benji was straddled with the horrible task of informing Dom, that it simply wasn't possible.

    They keep saying she could be alive, that she is stronger than anyone gives her credit for... I sit silently in these moments only picturing the stake that Chase got stabbed with. It takes a simple pointy piece of wood to kill vampires, and yes I understand we're strong and fast, but Mom's murderer was stronger, faster, and much more vicious...

    I haven't said anything to Chase about what I think or feel. I just let him continue trying to help find our more than likely, dead Mother. As much as I hate the world right now, and no matter how angry I am, how sadistic, I can't bring myself to drag Chase down with me. I can't tell him we were going to be big brother's, or that Mom is gone...

    I love Chase with every fiber of my being, and breaking him is nothing I ever dreamed of. I promised him from the beginning I would be there for him, and that he wasn't broken. I can't go right up to him and rip his heart out...