Chapter 45

Chapter 45

(Chase's scars pictured above)

Kristophe's POV:

It started as a burn. It was slow, steady, so unsettling that ignoring it was easy. I tried all I could to not feel it. Then the squeezing began and nothing could shake my belief... something was wrong. Sitting in third period English, I pulled my phone out of my pocket due to it's incessant vibrations.
I see a missing call from Chase, and a few random texts from Benji. Shamelessly, I replied to the texts that Benji sent, telling me he went searching through the city again for Mom. Before I know it, I've had the air knocked out of my chest. It was like my lungs had rejected the air in them.
Everyone spun around in the classroom to look at me. The burning in my chest had spread, like I was pressed against an oven. Inhaling several times, I try and calm my galloping heart. Nothing worked though, the heat continued, stronger and more suffocating then the second before.
Pulling my phone back out, I texted Benji saying that something was definitely wrong. I didn't get a response before I was staring at my professors face. The stern look was pitiful compared to my own.

"Mr. Porter, give me your phone, you have detention after school for openly using it in class..." His voice was as gritty as sandpaper to my raw nerves, this enraged me further. Looking at my teacher like he had two heads, both of which were pissing me off, I responded.

"I'd step back if I were you." I commanded, gathering my stuff and shoving it in my book-bag, before standing up. My phone glued to my hand and in front of my eyes, not sparing my teacher a passing glance as I headed for the door.

"Mr Porter! You don't leave my classroom without permission. If you walk out, I will be forced to inform the Dean." Mr. Rochelle spoke as my hand gripped the doorknob. Spinning in my place, I look back him with a severe glare, while all my classmates watch in interest.

"You tell the Dean, and I will be forced to confirm some unsettling rumors surrounding the price of an A in your class. I always wondered, does blowing you get the same grade as riding you? I'm sure you wouldn't like that to get out... You wife certainly wouldn't be happy..." Gasps echo around the room as I walk out with my signature sadistic smile.

Heading towards the exit, I access my phone while I walk and listen to the voicemail Chase had left...

"I,I,... I know you won't get this in time, and that's ok... I know I don't have a chance, to be honest, I never really did." The sound of Chase's voice, so hollow, in constant strain and shaking as he speaks has me frozen in place.

"You'll hate yourself for not protecting me... but you did. You might think you never got to play the hero, but from the... the moment we spoke, to every nightmare filled night... you were my hero." As I listen to the message, filled with pauses and raggedy breathes, I soon feel tears fall from my cheekbones. 

"Please... please don't blame yourself, and don't, ever, regret me... That would really kill me... I'll see you again Kristophe, so you better have... have some good stories... Don't forget me, but... please... live... I love you, probably more than I ever could describe... This isn't goodbye, it's... it... it's see... see ya later..."

By the time Chase's message ends, I can hear him gag, and choke. The words are difficult for him to get out, but he does, and only then does the call end and the voicemail turns off...
Using vamp speed, I fly through the halls of my school, scaring some random students but I can't bring myself to care in the slightest. Clicking the contact as I breach the doors of my school, I am almost immediately connected.

"Meet me at home. NOW!!" I growl, I fear my eyes are permanently flooded red as I hail a cab and disconnect the call.

.  .  .  .  .  .