15 / little monster

THE TV WAS ON.

An old cricket match was being telecasted again and Ash was watching it as if it wouldn't take two seconds to google the winner of the match. Melannie was forced to stare at the screen because he had his head on her lap and his legs stretched out horizontally. She tried watching it for a few minutes but it was so boring that watching the clock tick piqued better interest. Just in time, her phone vibrated.

I am bored. It was from Jake.

Go read a book. Melannie texted back, smiling as she knew that it wasn't an answer he would enjoy.

No. I want to talk random shit with you.

So, you want attention?

Your attention.

Melannie tilted her head backwards, pressing her palm on her lips to hide the wide grin on her face. Their relationship had blossomed in text, inside the private screens of their phones where they could be honest with each other. When they were in college, it was difficult for them to open up heart-to-heart because they were always surrounded by their friends. It would be too suspicious if they sneaked off alone. So text-messaging had become their thing. And Melannie loved it.

Jake's texts made her smile or roll her eyes. There was no in-between.

You have all my attention, Woods. What do you want to talk about?

His reply was instant. How likely are you to agree if I say I want to meet you right now?

Hmm, very low?

I can't work with that, can I?

Nope. I told you that I will be coming back tomorrow.

I know. But I want to see you now.

Melannie bit her lips. The butterflies in her chest were turning feral. Melannie already missed him, especially when she lay in her bed at night with no work to distract herself. But Jake was evil. He made her miss him even more. He made sure that her heart pined for him and her thoughts clung to him like a bee to its hive. It was the early stages of their relationship (or whatever it was). Young saplings of love that were needy for attention and touch and company. And they were starved of it because of distance. It didn't feel good.

And?

Kiss your pretty mouth.

Melannie sucked in a breath and then quickly shut her mouth. She peeked down at Ash to find him still engrossed in the match.

I have a lot of ideas, skittle. You don't have to worry about that. Jake texted again.

Ideas. Did they have anything to do with the bad things that he wanted to do to her? Melannie's mind was spiralling into an abyss. She needed to focus.

Be patient. I am worth the wait.

Never denied that. At least can I pick you up tomorrow?

It's a long drive. You really want to? Melannie secretly wished he would ask that but she didn't want to trouble him. So, she'd kept quiet.

I wouldn't ask if I didn't want to.

She pursed her lips so that she wouldn't betray the bold grin creeping up on her features. Okay then. I'll text you later.

Bye, skittle. Dream of me.

Melannie locked her phone and placed it on the tea table, feeling an odd sense of satisfaction and peace. Her fingers resumed weaving through her brother's hair, careful not to disturb his wound. She scrunched her nose. "Do you smell something weird?"