16 / blaze gaze

MELANNIE COULD ASSURE you that the first date nerves were real. She couldn't ask for Char's opinion on her outfit because she'd want to know why she was dressing up so much for hanging out with her classmates. Melannie kept telling herself that it was just Jake and he had seen her in her PJ's and a bunny beanie. There was nothing worse than that. But she wanted to dress up for him. To look good. She wanted his eyes to run over and worship her wordlessly.

That day at the pub, he'd had this look. The blaze gaze, she'd like to call it. That look made her go hot all over. She wanted him to look at her the same way today.

But at the same time, she didn't want to overdo it.

Melannie picked out a white knitted cropped sweater and paired it with beige pants. Statement gold hoops, hair loose with a gold bow pin behind her ear. She stuffed her feet into her white converse. She wondered if she should wear a jacket but decided it wasn't that cold.

Char was on her stomach on her bed, watching something on her tablet. "I'm leaving," Melannie called out.

"Have fun. Call me if you want me to come get you."

"Of course."

Mel felt guilty for lying to her best friend but it was only three times. She swore she'd never do it after that.

Melannie stood under the naked tree — a tree devoid of leaves. It was close to the gate. She was just about to call Jake when she watched him jogging towards her with a big smile, his hair flopping on his forehead like a hero in a romance movie. She sighed. No human should look this beautiful.

He halted a few steps before her. "Trying to impress me, skittle?" he asked, before closing the distance between them. The blaze gaze was active. It was there in his eyes, making her heart race.

"What if I say yes?" Melannie managed.

"I'd say you don't have to. Because I'm already impressed. I'd follow you anywhere like a fucking puppy," he whispered lowly into her ears before looping his fingers through hers.

She looked away, too dazed. One hand was on her chest, trying to calm her crazy heart. "You can't just say things like that," she sputtered.

Jake simply pulled her along, a smirk on his face. "If I can't, then who else can?"

God, he was smooth.

"So... where are we going?" Melannie asked, tightening her fingers around his. His hand was much bigger than hers, fingers rough. He had a cut on his knuckle that she could trace with her dainty fingers. Even though it wasn't a perfect match in size, their hands fit beautifully, as if they were the rare muse for the art of holding hands.

"You aren't allowed to ask that question. Your job is to follow me and keep holding my hand like this so every intruding pair of eyes will know you're mine."

"Uh uh, not yet, mister." She nudged his shoulders. "And my job? I better get paid for this because holding your hand is the last thing I want to do in this world."

"Oh, really? You haven't played this over in your head a million times?" Jake smirked.

Melannie rolled her eyes. "Please. Don't flatter yourself."

"I don't need flattering, skittle."

Melannie wanted to slap that smug smile off his handsome face. "True, you are already arrogant enough. Now shut up and walk."

They had to take the subway. It was too crowded. Jake made her sit next to an old lady. There was one other available seat in the other corner but he insisted that he stand next to her rather than sit so far away from her. The old lady glanced up at that and smiled before going back to her phone.