27 / welcome back

SUMMER WENT AWAY.

Char had called two weeks before and it had been a long conversation. Her only problem was that when she had trusted Melannie with her biggest secret, why didn’t she feel like she could confide in her too? And Melannie had no answer to that. She had been an endless string of apologies and after a good amount of grovelling, Char forgave her.

“I’ve had a lot of time to think about it. I know that people make mistakes. That doesn’t mean they have to be defined by them,” Char said. “Our first summer was a flop. Maybe next summer we’ll have real fun.”

“I hope so too,” Melannie said, tearing up. She had missed her best friend.

Since then, they’ve been calling each other everyday and resumed their tradition of sending each other memes and funny videos.

In the midst of this, Melannie was debating telling her about her conversation with Jackson. Both of them had put her in a difficult position. Having learnt her lesson with secrets, she tried to get out of the situation. “Hey, Jackson and I’ve been talking. In one of our conversations, he brought you up," she began.

“What did he ask?” Since Char had been training with her Dad in his office, she barely had time to hang out. That had become a good thing because that meant not having to meet Jackson.

“He asked if you mentioned him to me. About the time you slept together,” Melannie said, biting her lip. Before her friend could cross-question, she continued, “Um, Char, I know you are closer to me than him but he means a lot to me too. Especially over summer, he’s been so caring. We’ve become close. He told me some things about you but I don't want to lose his trust, you know. All I can say is what I told him: Both of you should sit down and have a proper conversation about it. You can’t keep postponing it. If you do, you’ll drift away.”

“I know. I know. I’ve been thinking the same. I am just waiting for the perfect opportunity,” Char said, her words lined with frustration.

And last week, Dylan had called. He apologised for his shitty behaviour and for letting Jake bark at her like that. “I was just too shocked to react and after what Jake said, I kinda automatically agreed with him because I felt betrayed too,” he said. “It is no excuse but let me make it up to you. I’m standing outside your house. Let's celebrate you being a best-selling author. In the heat of this, we overlooked such a good thing.”

Melannie had thrown herself in Dylan’s arms, laughing and crying at the same time. Saakshi had joined in the hug, apologising for not speaking up. Char and Jackson stood against the car, smiling at her.  It was such a perfect reunion. Except for Jake’s absence. Melannie tried not to think about it by focusing on the expensive champagne and the fancy food, but all she could imagine was Jake stealing her food and absent-mindedly drawing hearts on her skin.

She missed him terribly.

She wished for so many things that day. She wished she was the one really at fault, that she was the one holding the grudge, that she was the one angry so that she’d leave everything behind and come running to him. Because more than holding grudges, he was important to her.

She’d go back to him in an instance if he’d just be willing to talk.