25 / double trouble

"I… I SLEPT WITH JACKSON.”

“You what?”

Char seemed so done with life as she nodded. “When I woke up beside him in the morning, I panicked. I don’t even know how we ended up having sex. The last thing I remember is him bringing out a bottle of whiskey and asking if I was up for another round. We got shit-faced," she said.

“Fuck.”

“I know!” She tugged at the roots of her hair.  "One, things are going to get really awkward between us. Two, he is probably going to put a big fucking wall between us, as if there isn't enough distance already. Three, I wanted our first time to be special but we had drunk sex. Four, the worst of them all, I can't remember a single thing about it. I can't remember his touch, his lips, his kiss, nothing. Everything is completely blank, like a fucking white-washed wall." There was frustration and anger in her voice but also a sinking sadness.

“Oh, Char.” Melannie pulled her into a tight hug.  Melannie didn't know what to say to her that would make her feel better. She couldn't make empty promises, or tell her she understood (because she didn't), or say words that felt meaningless even if she meant it. There was too much on Char’s plate already. She was training to be a worthy heir to her father’s company, juggling her coursework and her social circles along with the agony of an one-sided love. It just kept getting complicated.

“I don’t know what I should do. What should I do, Mel?” Char asked.

“Go and talk to him, Char. I think this has carved out the perfect timing for you to confess your feelings. Make it clear that those feelings are not a result of the sex last night. How long are you going to hide your feelings from him, Char? The situation is already bad, no offense. Think of it like ripping a band-aid and admit your feelings. After that, it’s up to him.”

“What if he doesn’t want to make this a big deal? Wouldn’t I be pressuring him to make something out of an incident that doesn’t even mean anything to him?”

“You can’t assume anything, Char. You told me you shared a few moments back in high school. What if those feelings still linger inside him? What if he just needs to see it?” Melannie said. “Look, make something out of this inevitable awkwardness. Make it a chance for you to confess because one day, you have to. He needs to know. While you are at it, listen to each other and talk your feelings. Give him time to think about it.”

“You’re right. Maybe the time has come.”

“Whatever he chooses, I don’t think Jackson will let your friendship be influenced by his decision. You are his closest friend among us, you know that, right? He won’t throw it away without a fight.”

“I hope. I can deal with it if he’s not interested in me romantically but I…can’t—”

“I know. I know.” Melannie hugged her again. “It’ll be okay. You will get through it and I’ll stay beside you the entire time.” She patted her head and held her tighter.

“Don’t let Jake know.”

“He won’t have a clue about it. I promise.”

Char sniffled into her shoulders. “Thank you, Mel.”

In truth, Melannie was worried for her friend. She couldn't stop thinking about it. As she showered and pulled on the first outfit that made sense, Melannie wondered how much this drunken mistake would affect everyone's lives. She only prayed both of them would survive it.

Little did she know her life was about to be torn into pieces, in dire need of prayers too.