Riptide (pt. 1)

I wasn't quite sure when the age of heroes had begun. It just seemed like one day, petty crimes evolved into acts of terrorism, and new threats suddenly sprung up everywhere. But then, people with spectacular abilities began to emerge with them. At first, they had been met with suspicion and fear, but I was always drawn to them. Despite popular reports, I knew they were just people like us, trying their best and doing good things.

My name is Annabeth Chase; I'm a journalist for the Half-Blood Times, and I'm well known around the world for my groundbreaking (others call them controversial) pieces. My latest focused on superheroes, and getting people to trust them more. Like I said, something about them attracted me, especially the one the media had dubbed Riptide. He controlled the water and seemed to come from the sea, but he only worked at night. I'd always found it strange that someone of his power would want to be so hidden, especially since he was so efficient, defeating everyone who had crossed his path and keeping the city mostly clear of crime. No one in the office knew it yet, but I was planning my next piece already.

An interview with Riptide.
________________________________
"Are you crazy?" Piper exclaimed, taking a sip of her tea, scrunching up her nose, and then slamming it onto the table.

"Sheesh, say it louder Pipes I don't think the guys in the back heard you," I retorted sarcastically, rolling my eyes as I leaned back into my chair in the rec room. I grabbed Piper's mug and took a swig of tea, sighing contentedly. Piper looked at me weirdly, and it wasn't because I had stolen her tea (it was a running joke between us).

Piper was one of the reporters here- as well as my best friend- and she brought in good ratings, even though half the viewers were just creeps who wanted to eat her alive.  It made sense though, Piper was so beautiful, even though she always tried to downplay it. Today she'd layered a purple sweater that brought out her kaleidoscope eyes over a white collared shirt, tucked into a pair of black slacks. Her choppy hair fell into her face in an ethereal way, giving her a timeless look.

"You're out of your mind Annabeth." Piper leaned in closer to me, her eyes taking on a look of genuine concern. "The world of superheroes is dangerous. Please, Annabeth don't take this story on. You don't know what you could get yourself into."

Normally Piper was good at convincing people to do stuff, but I shook my head and stared at her. "This could change everything Pipes. People need to know more about these superheroes, and I'm going to be the bridge. People are already starting to come around after my last piece. Imagine what could happen if I get personal."

Piper shook her head and pursed her lips, staring at her folded hands. "You're a real piece of work, Chase."

I flashed a beaming smile at her. "That's what makes me so special."

Just then, Jason Grace, one of Piper's usual camera boys, burst in, pushing his glasses up his nose with one hand and holding a tray of coffee with the other. His hair was disheveled and I could've sworn I saw a hickey underneath his misbuttoned shirt.

"Hey guys," Jason breathed.

"Hey Sparky. I hope that coffee's for me, because Annabeth stole my tea. It sucked anyways but still," Piper supplied.

Jason gave her a lopsided grin, handing her a coffee cup. "A light espresso with two shots, just how you like it."

Piper took a sip and moaned. "Ugh, it's perfect. Gods do I hate tea."

Jason blushed and shrugged. "It's the least I could do since I'm late."

Piper smirked. "I wonder why. By the way, your shirt's buttoned up wrong."

Jason glared at her, making me gag. They'd always been flirty, but lately something was up. Jason was less shy around Piper, and she was more damsel-in-distress than usual (which was never; Piper was always so independent).