It's Been a Long, Long Time

A/N: WARNING: Slight Endgame spoilers. I recommend playing the song near the end of the story or as you read in general. Based off of Captain America bc I've been inspired by my post-Endgame depression.
________________________________
Annabeth tossed her head back and laughed loudly, not caring that her dad could probably hear her through the thin walls of her house.
"Seaweed Brain, you are terrible dancer!"

Percy frowned through the Iris Message, his bottom lip jutting out ever so slightly. "Not true Wise Girl, I too can dance. Remember Westover Hall?"

Annabeth scoffed and rolled onto her stomach to look at Percy, eyes gleaming. "Oh I remember, Percy," she smirked, "I remember lots of bruises on my toes the next day."

Percy blushed and scowled. "Oh shush Wise Girl. I can dance! I'll show you!"

"Oh yeah?" Annabeth cocked a brow.

"Yeah! Name a time and place; I'll be there!" Percy exclaimed.

Annabeth smiled softly. "We'll be out for winter break soon. Ice skating in Rockefeller, 6:00. We'll ask them to play something slow. I'd hate to have you step on my toes again."
Then, as an afterthought, she added, "Don't be late."

Percy grinned that troublemaker smile of his, sending heat rushing through Annabeth. "I wouldn't dream of it."
________________________________
Percy waited anxiously for the Greek battleship to land. It'd been a long eight months: having his memory stolen, only knowing Annabeth's name, arriving at Camp Jupiter, going on that quest. He just wanted to see his girlfriend again.

Finally, a rope was lowered and three demigods climbed down. First was a tall blonde, then a girl with choppy brunette hair, and a smaller elvish looking kid. They stood close together, looking weary but ready to take on the world. The blonde in the middle held his head high; he must've been the famed Jason. Percy didn't recognize the other two, but the trio seemed very close.

All around him, Percy could tell the Romans were nervous, unsure. They fiddled with their belts, looked anywhere but the other three demigods, and whispered amongst each other. Next to him, Reyna stood with her jaw clenched and hands on her hips, forcing an authoritative demeanor.

Jason opened his mouth to speak, but Percy interrupted him.
"Where's Annabeth?" he blurted.

Just like that, the three demigods crumpled, their defensive stances wilting like flowers. The elvish once cleared his throat, but his voice was still gravelly when he said, "We should speak in private."

Reyna looked to Percy quizzically, then nodded and turned to head towards the conference room. Percy looked back at the hovering Greek ship, waiting for any sign that Annabeth was in there. Perhaps she was back at camp?

Once they were in the hall and seated around the table, Piper took over the conversation. "You guys must be Reyna and Percy. We- we've heard a lot about you."

Percy nodded, his head swimming. "How come Annabeth isn't with you guys?"

Jason and Piper looked at each other, then back at Percy.

"Percy," Piper started. "Annabeth really loved you."

Percy chest began to tighten. This wasn't happening. His voice sounded strained when he choked out, "Where is she?"

Piper reached out and took Jason's hand, making Reyna flinch. "She spent so much time searching for you Percy. Before Jason, Leo, and I left on our quest, she told us she was going to make another attempt to search for you."

Her voice cracked then, and Jason took over. "Something went wrong. She was ambushed, and badly wounded. She- she didn't make it Percy."

Percy felt like someone had poured ice water all over him, then shocked him with an electric current. His heart stopped beating, and his brain short-circuited.