The Only Exception

Dear Percy,
First and foremost, what I want you to take away from this is that I love you. I love you so so much, it hurts me because I didn't know my heart had so much room in there for just one person. Now I need you to understand that I have to go. It's for the better. I know I could never be what you need, what you deserve. You were the best boyfriend I could've ever asked for and more, but it's about time I stop fooling myself with this dream life you've created for me. You deserve better, and I can't give that to you. It's okay to fall in love with someone else, someone who will charm your friends and family and be your brilliant other half. But I want you to know that I'll always love you and that this was the hardest decision I've ever had to make.

All the love in the world,

Annabeth

Annabeth sighed heavily as she placed her pen back down on the coffee table. She could feel the guilt building up in her heart, but she tried to push it down. It wasn't an easy sacrifice; she'd been struggling with her own mind for months now. But she knew she had to do this, for him. It was nearing early afternoon, sometime around 10:00, and the sun was beginning to cast a soft golden glow over the city. Annabeth tried to enjoy her last look from her shared apartment.

Annabeth had met Percy nearly a year ago. He'd bumped into her at a party held by a mutual friend, and they'd just hit it off. Their relationship moved pretty fast; three months in she'd moved in with him and not too long after that she met his mom, the most important woman in his life, second only to Annabeth.
Annabeth winced as she blinked away tears. She meant so much to Percy, and she knew her leaving would devastate him, but it was all going to work itself out in the end. She wasn't good enough to deserve everything he'd given her in the past couple of months. The tender, late night touches and the light kisses he'd pepper all over her shoulders in the morning. The way he looked at her when she- gods no. She couldn't think about him, or she'd trap herself here and sentence Percy to a miserable lifetime with her.

Annabeth allowed herself one more glance at Percy before she broke his heart. He was so beautiful Annabeth wondered how she was the lucky one who got to be his. His hair was unkempt and just brushed his eyebrows, while his eyelashes dusted shadows across his freckled cheeks. His lips were parted slightly, letting a small line of drool out, and his cheeks were rosy from being in the sun. Annabeth stifled a cross between a sob and a laugh as she traced the outline of his jaw lightly. Suddenly, Percy stirred. Annabeth stilled, praying he wouldn't wake up. But just her luck, he did.

"Annabeth?" he mumbled.

"Yes Percy?" Annabeth replied softly, mentally cursing every god she could think of and thanking them at the same time for allowing her one more peek at him before he left.

"Where are you going?" Percy asked, his words slurred from sleep.

Annabeth leaned forward and kissed his forehead. "Just for a little grocery run, I'll be back before you know it."

"Okay, don't be too long okay? I want to cuddle when you get back."

Annabeth smiled and struggled to keep her tears at bay. "Of course baby. I love you so much." She poured her whole heart into that simple phrase, trying to convey just how much she loved him.

"I love you too," Percy replied before turning over again and closing his eyes.

Annabeth sighed for the ten-thousandth time that morning, then moved towards the door, her suitcase already packed and ready to go. Her steps seemed to grow heavier as she neared the door. With one hand on the doorknob and another grasping her suitcase, Annabeth began to turn the knob slowly as to not rouse Percy again.