Joining The Kratt Team

(I'm saying them and their because I can't decide on how to address reader gender)

"Hey everyone! We're back!" Martin said. You stopped at the entrance to the Tortuga. Martin stopped when he realized you weren't following him.

"I'm not so sure about this." You said. Martin walked up to you and grabbed your hand to pull you forward a little ways.

"It's alright. You can come in." He said. Hesitantly, you stepped into the giant turtle structure. You stared in awe at the area around you. In the center of the room, there was a large round table. On one of the walls, there was a large screen with an extended keyboard. There were more computers and control panels in several other places, along with doors into other rooms.

You stared around. You noticed that there was an African-American looking girl sitting at the largest computer. She was typing rapidly at the keys in front of her.

"Hey, Koki." Martin said. The girl turned around. She had curly black hair held back with a yellow headband, a red shirt with a white star, light brown pants, and red sneakers.

"Hey, Martin. Who's this?" She asked, waving a hand to you. Just then a guy with long red hair, lounge clothing, and a red cap turned backwards on his head walked in.

"Koki, Jimmy, this is (____)." Martin said. You waved shyly at them. Jimmy waved back and bit into a pizza he was holding.

"(____), this is Koki, and Jimmy Z." Martin said, gesturing to Koki and Jimmy in turn. Just then, Aviva and Chris walked in. Chris was limping, but overall looked okay.

"(____), what are you doing here? Don't you need to go home?" Aviva asked. You flinched at the word home. Chris noticed and went over to you.

"Are you alright?" He asked worriedly. You started to get really nervous.

"(____)... Is there something your not saying?" Aviva asked skeptically. You avoided eye contact, but nodded.

"Come to think of it, (____) refused to say where they live." Martin added. You looked down at your feet.

"Well, where do you live?" Koki asked you. You sighed, then told them.

"I uh, live in a, uh, orphanage not far from where Martin and Chris were." You said quietly. Everyone stared at you.

"So you're an orphan?" Aviva asked. You nodded. Then you turned to the brothers to try and change the subject.

"So, Martin, Aviva called you M.K. What does the K stand for?" You asked. Martin and Chris smiled happily.

"Kratt. Martin and Chris Kratt." Chris said. Martin walked up to stand next to him.

"And all of us-" Martin gestured to the rest of the team. "-Are the Wild Kratts." He finished.

Your eyes widened in surprise.

"Kratt?" You asked. Chris and Martin exchanged a confused glance, then nodded.

"But Kratt is my last name." You said. Both Kratt brothers stared at you in confusion.

"My full name is (____) Kratt." You said. Now the bro's eyes widened in surprise.

"But if you're an orphan, then how do you know your last name?" Aviva asked with suspicion.

"There's an orphan there that lock picks the file cabinets for fun. He showed me my file." You said. Aviva raised an eyebrow at you but accepted the explanation.

(Martin and Chris POV)

When (____) mentioned their last name, Martin and Chris both had the same memory.

Martin was ten and Chris was seven. They were playing with a set of toy safari creatures when their mom and dad came into the room. Their mom was holding their little sibling, (____).

"Boys, (____) is going to have to... go away for a little while." Their mom said. The two children stared at them. While their mom took (____) out to the car, their dad sat them down and explained what was happening.

"I'm afraid we can't support three growing children, so we decided it would be best if (____) lived somewhere else." Their father told them. Martin thought about it, then realized what was going on. Unfortunately, Chris was still too young to understand.

"Will we see them again?" Chris asked. Martin tried to hold back tears of sympathy and sadness for himself and his little brother and (____). Chris had always been closer to (____) than anyone. Chris was closer to (____) than he had been to Martin.

"Maybe someday, son." Their dad said. Now Chris was tearing up. Martin hugged him, and Chris just squeezed him back. That was their dad's way of avoiding the word 'no'.

Chris wasn't sure what would happen to (____), but he always hoped to see them again someday.

(extra note: in current day, Martin is 24, Chris is 21, and the reader is 14. This is a fanfic, don't question too much.)

(Reader POV)

You finished explaining the conditions of the orphanage. Martin and Chris looked at each other. Chris looked heartbroken that you didn't remember him, and Martin managed a weak smile. You stared at the Kratt team in confusion when they gathered on the other side of the room. When they separated, both of the Kratt brothers were beaming.

"Where is your orphanage?" Martin asked.

"Why?" You asked him. Chris jumped ahead of Martin.

"Because you're going to be adopted!" Chris said excitedly. Your breath caught in your throat. Those were words you never thought you would hear.

"Believe it or not, we are actually your big brothers." Martin said. You shrugged at him.

"I believe it." You said simply.

You led Martin and Chris to where your orphanage was. While they talked to the headmistress, you gathered your stuff and said goodbye to everyone.

"I'm happy for you." Carmen said. She patted you on the back like she always did when she approved.

"But what about me? I'm not ready to fill your shoes!" Danny said nervously. You kneeled down to his eye level and stared right into his worried green eyes.

"Danny, I'm going to tell you a secret." You said. Danny leaned in closer, now more curious than scared.

"All of the books in the back shelf of the big kid room will teach you everything I didn't. I learned from those books when I was your age." You whispered to him. You stood back up, and now he was looking at you with excitement and pride. You smiled happily at him. You knew he would be fine.

"Congratulations, Martin and Chris Kratt you are now the official guardians of (____) Kratt." The headmistress said without any real enthusiasm. You ruffled each of the twin's hair and started walking away.

"Bye everyone." You called.

"Bye!" the orphans called back. Danny waved the longest of all.

"Bye, Wild Cat." He said quietly. Martin jumped in surprise and Chris was clearly startled by it.

"Uh, yeah. did I mention my nickname when we were talking?" You said sheepishly. Both brothers shook their head.

When you got back, You were surprised to see party decorations everywhere and a huge sign saying "WELCOME HOME" on it.

"Welcome to the Wild Kratts team!" Aviva said. Now you knew it.

You were home.