Zap!

A year after Chris made the suggestion, the three of you were ready for the hike across the United States, and you were gathered with your supplies and other contestants at the starting line in California.

"This should be fun." You said happily to Chris. You glanced over at Martin, who was standing next to you. "A lot more fun than sailing right into Gourmand."

"How many times do I have to say I'm Sorry?!" Martin asked with exasperation. You just glared at him. You told him you didn't like going in boats. You looked at your hand, which now had a scar where the burn had turned to a long scratch on your palm. Martin looked very upset that you hadn't forgiven him yet. You had made a point of staying far away from any bodies of water for three months straight.

In the year between when Chris got the flyer and the time to start, you and your brothers had split time between getting ready for the event and creature missions. You now had plenty of creature powers to get you just about anywhere. You watched as the person hosting this event walked up in front of the crowd.

"Welcome everyone." The host began. "I hope you got here all right."

You glanced back at where the Tortuga was in a forest. Aviva, Koki, and Jimmy were standing in front of the trees, waving encouragingly. Of course they got here all right! The host went through the rules and other information, then stared out across the crowd.

"Good luck, everyone." He said. "If you're not back after eight months, we'll come looking for you."

Well, that's reassuring. You thought sarcastically. You hoped that it wouldn't come to people sending out a search party for anyone.

"Don't forget that the first person to finish gets one thousand dollars and a trophy!" The host yelled. "Get ready... get set... GO!"

Some people took off running to get a head start. You were all supposed to go in the opposite direction of the forest, toward rolling hills covered in dry, yellow grass and pale green shrubs. You, Martin, and Chris started off on your trip.

We're just hiking. You thought. What could go wrong?

Answer: Many things.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You were a half a day into the race, and going strong. The people who ran had stopped for drinks, and now the three of you were in second place. You continued partway through the night, and were starting in Arizona by noon the next day.

You yanked Chris away from a rattlesnake he was about to step on, and laughed.

"What is it with you and rattlers?" You said jokingly. Martin started giggling, too, and Chris frowned.

"Not funny." He muttered, crossing his arms.

He wouldn't say anything for three hours after that.

At one point you had to carefully remove a scorpion from Chris's sleeping bag before he laid down right on it. Martin was laughing hysterically.

"You're really not cut out for the desert, are you bro?" He said, gasping for breath. Chris was clearly miserable in the Sonoran Desert. And despite all his teasing, Martin was having more trouble than anyone realized.

On your second morning in Arizona, Martin wouldn't wake up even when Chris tripped over him and dropped a backpack on him. You finally walked over to take his pulse.

The first thing you noticed was that his temperature was very hot and he was sweating. His breathing was shallow, and his heart rate was fast. You were getting concerned.

"Hyperthermia." You said, your voice barely above a whisper. Hyperthermia was extremely dangerous in the desert, but it was also very common. Naturally, you knew how to treat it.

"What?" Chris asked you. His brown eyes were filled with concern, and his lips were tight with worry. You pulled a book of diseases from your backpack and threw it at Chris before attempting to move Martin to the shade of a small tree.

Soon, you had done all you could to cool off Martin. The next day, he finally woke up. You gave him some water, which he drank slowly.

"What happened?" He asked after drinking all he needed.

"Oh, you only almost died yesterday." You said tiredly. Martin's eyes widened as he seemed to realize something.

"(____), you look awful!" He commented. "What happened to you?"

"They stayed up all night, taking care of you." Chris told Martin, gesturing to you. You yawned sleepily.

"You didn't have to do that!" Martin said defiantly. You just nodded. After a day of rest, you all started out again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

(Martin's POV)

On the seventh day of travel, Martin glanced over at (____) as you were all walking. He couldn't believe they would stay up for a whole day and night, just to make sure he was okay! He thought again about his wish to be a better brother to (____).

If only I were closer with (____)! He thought unhappily. He had noticed that ever since (____) helped his hyperthermia, they had been waking up late at night. Then maybe I could help them, too.

Martin made a mental note to ask Chris how he made such good friends with (____) so quickly.

A shadow crossed over the ground, and Martin looked up. A large, black ship was hovering above you three. Martin looked over at (____) and Chris. (____)'s eyes were wide with curiosity, and he remembered they had never seen this enemy before. Meanwhile, Chris looked nervous and angry at the same time.

The ship lowered to hover a few feet off the ground, and a large door opened. As expected, Zach Varmitech stepped out. Martin faintly heard (____) muttering about how dumb it is to wear black in the desert and how they never imagined Zach being this way.

"Hey, Wild Ratts!" Zach called out cruelly. Chris scowled, and (____) stood in a defensive position, like they wanted to karate-chop Zach in the throat. Martin stared at Varmitech in annoyance.

"It's Wild Kratts." (____) said under their breath. Zach seemed to notice them for the first time.

"Who's the shrimp you got with you?" He asked. Anger flashed in (____)'s eyes, like they wanted to murder Zach. Martin couldn't blame them.

"A little bird told me you like playing with electricity." Zach continued. Martin knew he was talking about Gourmand. "So I'm sure you'll love my latest invention."

Zach held up something that looked like a taser. Zach pulled the trigger on it, and with a loud zap, the electric-charged end of the taser shot straight toward (____).