Illness

After you, Chris, Martin, and Aviva escaped, it was easy for Koki and Jimmy to find you. Unfortunately though, you didn't have long to be happy about it.

A couple of days after your rescue, you started to feel unwell. The day after that, you were running a high fever and had bad headaches. On top of that, you felt sick to your stomach a lot.

Aviva said you had the flu. Well, technically she said you had "Influenza A", but you knew what she meant. This was the first time you had the flu. Actually, this was the third time in your whole life you'd gotten sick, and that's if you call electrocution being sick.

The one other time you ever had a real illness was food poisoning from bad chicken that one of the thieves got at the orphanage. It barely lasted four days.

You didn't like being sick. It meant you weren't allowed on creature missions, or even out of the Tortuga. You hated being stuck inside while you got better.

Aviva explained to you that the electric shock most likely weakened your immune system, and that was why you caught a virus so quickly. It was also around flu season. Aviva added with the fact that during her tests on your running and jumping skills, she also saw a very strong immune system, most likely caused by the fact that you were exposed to a lot of germs while in the role of the orphanage healer. The explanation answered a few questions for you.

To everyone's surprise, Martin was first to volunteer to take care of you. He insisted that Chris would be able to pull off the creature missions better, because most of them were in or under the cover of trees.

The thing you found you hated most about being sick was the fact that you couldn't smell anything. Your nose was always stuffy. It made it far easier for people to creep up on you. Especially when they're trying to be quiet.

You also found that your hearing was a lot sharper. It made up for the loss of your smell, but regular noises to you seemed really loud, and loud noises to you were unbearable. At some point, Aviva was making a machine to simulate the sound of a dog whistle. She'd forgotten you had sensitive ears until she tested it.

Along with everything else making you miserable, you were always tired and felt cold, even when you weren't.

Martin did an excellent job taking care of you, always making sure you were as comfortable as possible. There was one thing he did that you didn't mind, but it drove everyone else insane. He would sometimes have you get out of bed and walk around.

Koki was bugged because she wanted a sanitary environment, and she washed everywhere you walked. It was really annoying you.

Jimmy hated that you kept forgetting that he moved the cords for his video game console. You always tripped over them and accidentally unplugged them, which would start a fight between you two.

Aviva couldn't stand that, even when sick, you could still creep up on someone without them noticing. You didn't mean to. You just wanted to see what she was doing, and you scared her by accident.

Chris was only worried about you. He thought you might get more sick if you were up and about too much. You kept trying to say you would be fine, but he didn't seem to believe you.

As expected, you recovered after a few days. And as soon as you got better, Martin got sick.

You two switched roles, and this time you took every precaution to make sure it didn't spread anymore. It took Martin a bit longer to get over the flu, but he did.

Aviva called you over to her several times for tests. She was still trying to figure out why you were so much like an animal. You were slightly confused when she added "behavior-wise" this time.

"Well, you can't stand being cooped up for too long, and you have to be moving to be comortable. Along with that, you look like your stalking animals during creature missions." She explained to you. You nodded in understanding.

Well, whatever reason you were the way you were, you were glad to be that way. You grew even more glad after what happened a few weeks later...