Ch. 26

Protection

"I'm sorry." Tobirama turned to his older brother as they walked home, sun already set with stars shining brightly up above them. They had spent a bit more time with Tajima and Madara after Izuna went back to sleep, no doubt trying to process all other information they gave him. They didn't even see time pass by until they finally made it out of the small hospital. Tsun, the doctor taking care of Izuna, had thought they had left and was already locking up.

"For what?" Hashirama let out a deep sigh, a frown marring his face.

"For not trusting you... I mean I did, but I didn't exactly do a good job of showing it. I'm sorry, for making you feel terrible about something you didn't even do." Tobirama couldn't help but frown as well.

"It hurt. Being targeted by everyone and having to see the disappointment on everyone's faces, especially yours and father's. I don't even remember the last time father was so depressed." Hashirama felt the words jab his heart, not knowing how difficult it was to be the enemy of both the Uchiha clan and his own. Even after all this, the Senju clan didn't 100% trust the Uchiha clan but they had come to terms with the idea of peace with them. To have something, in this case someone, ruin it and cause more loss to their lives would of course cause them to resent the person responsible.

"I didn't know what to do. For the first time in my life, I actually disappointed people. I thought I had to be perfect in every way and serious every place I go, especially with you as an older brother who didn't take anything seriously." Hashirama let his head hang with a forced smile and awkward chuckle as he quickly went into his depressed mode.

"...but I knew it would turn out all right." This made the older of the two perk up. It did turn out all right but with the odds against him, how could he?

"How did you know?" The long haired man asked as Tobirama's face was graced with a smile.

"Because Naruto trusted me." Hashirama stopped, bewilderment in his eyes as he stared at Tobirama's retreating back.

Naruto. Naruto believed Tobirama when even he couldn't. Why? Why did he have such an unwavering will despite adversaries? It made no sense.

But with Naruto, everything seemed to make sense no matter how far out of this world it is.

"You don't have to apologize, you know. I understand where you're coming from." Hashirama strutted next to his younger brother, hearing his words as the slight breeze cooled their heads.

"You're the future Hokage, and you acted as a Hokage would. Treason shouldn't be dealt with lightly and you made sure that was the case, even if I am your brother." The other's eyes brightened as his brother praised him.

"You're becoming exactly the person I knew you could be." His lips stretched into a wide grin, chocolate eyes vibrant, and his arms stretched out wide.

"Let go of me!"

"Tobirama!! I never knew you had such confidence in me!" Tobirama blanched as he attempted to get the other away from him.

"Gross! Hugging is gross!"

"Even if the one doing the hugging is your older brother?" Tobirama nodded vigorously.