24. December

When Hazel opened her eyes that morning, she desperately wished it had all been just a magnificent lifelike dream. Her mind simply wouldn't believe it, and yet... something felt right in her chest when she thought about it.

Of course he was Santa Claus. It made so much sense now, everything he did and why he was so perfect. He was the embodiment of Christmas, of hope, of unity, of childlike wonder and happiness. Christmas represented a time of coming together in love, of sharing food, comfort, faith and respect, and so much more. Nick had been all that and more to.

Hazel slowly turned around and to her utter surprise found herself in her own bed. She blinked in confusion when she didn't even remember coming back here to her house, only passing out in Nick's sleigh as they had flown across the night sky. It had all been a little too much for her to handle at first.

"Good morning."

Gasping, Hazel jolted around and found Nick coming into her bedroom with a hot mug of something that smelled divinely like coffee. Hazel couldn't help but stare with wide eyes as Santa Claus came up to her side and took a seat on the edge of the bed.

– It was really all real. He was real and all of this time, she had been fooling around with Santa Claus...

"I made you some coffee," Nick said and held out the warm mug towards her frozen mug. "I figured you could probably use some."

Hazel finally managed to snap out of her surprise and slowly took the cup. Sitting up a bit better and leaning back, she nipped the coffee while still being unable to take her eyes off of him. She was sure she was looking at him like had grown an extra head.

"So..." Nick started, shifting carefully. "About last night..."

"I still can't believe it," Hazel whispered, her voice barely a squeak. "You're truly Santa Claus. How... how is it even... possible?" That was the first of many questions that littered her head.

"It just is," Nick's lips twitched softly. "What I am doesn't change who I am, Hazel. I meant every word I said last night. This past month has been the best Christmas in... I can't even remember."

Hazel looked at him for a long moment. If he was really Santa, then he had to be old. As in, centuries old. Not to mention he was magic... if the flying reindeers and the sleigh was any hint. But if he was really Santa, then... what was he doing in Leavenworth instead of the North Pole?

Wait, was that really where it even all happened...?

"I have so many questions," Hazel said, trying to put them all in order when they kept jumping around inside her head. "I mean... this is really crazy."

Nick smiled again. "I know it's a lot. The only thing you need to know though, is..." He slowly sighed and looked down. "I have to leave today. I hope you understand why now."

Hazel's throat closed up. In all the madness, she had completely forgotten about... well, everything else. She had even thought about what... all this could mean for them.

Would he ever be back again?

"Hazel..." Nick slowly moved closer when Hazel sat down her coffee mug and wrapped her arms around herself. "Please understand. I wish I could stay, I wish I could keep this dream going. You make me so damn happy all the time, Hazel. I wish..." He sighed again and pulled away. "I wish there was a way."