Getting to Know Kassie Swan (Pt. 2)

Emmett finds himself entranced by this human girl, and somehow, someway, a spark finds itself inside of his heart. It lights up as he continues to look at Kassie, amazed by her story. She has just explained part of it. She told him about Phil, Renee, her sister, a little about her family. he wants to know more about her, so he speaks up again. 

"Interesting," Emmett says aloud, without thinking, and Kassie turns to him, confused. 

"About what?" She questions, her brow furrowing as she cocks her head to the side. He turns to her then, and he finds himself smiling as he looks at her. 

"What you've told me." Kassie laughs, a little chuckle, that to him sounds beautiful. 

"My life isn't too interesting," she says, and then laughs again. "But my sister's clumsiness sure is. I've never seen anyone as klutzy as my twin."

"Me, too," Emmett replies, and then laughs along with her. He then abruptly stops as he thinks about how he's laughing with Kassie. 

There is a long moment of silence, before the teacher comes around and takes a look at their work. Their part for today is done, and Emmett can tell that Ms. Goff is surprised at how quickly they worked on their part. 

"¿Ya hicieron todo en menos de veinte minutos?" You both did everything in less than twenty minutes?

"Sí, Sra. Goff," Kassie replies, and Ms. Goff nods, then heads towards another group to check on their work, without another word. 

Kassie sighs, and then rests her chin on her folded hands, her eyes looking bored, Emmett notices. He sighs, too, and mocks her position. She eyes him out of the corner of her eye, and smiles sheepishly. 

"Ya good there?" She asks, and he cracks a smile, finding that he cannot not smile when she is around. He just can't help it. 

"Yes, and you, Little Swan?" He teases, and she laughs, her eyes brightening and a smile spreading across her face. 

"Everyone seems to call me that nowadays. I used to be taller than my twin, but now she's grown, and I'm still the same height as I was in eight grade," she chuckles, shaking her head. Again Emmett laughs with her, not able to help it this time either. 

"You're my sister's height," he tells her, and she turns to him, her wide brown eyes questioning. "Alice," he explains, and she nods, understanding. 

"Right, but I bet that even she is at least an inch taller than I am," she tells him, amused. 

Right then, the teacher announces the end of class, and the bell rings, following her sentence. She tells them that the project must be turned in by Thursday, and that both partners should do their parts equally, or they won't receive good grades. Or at least the partner that doesn't do anything. 

Emmett doesn't want to leave the girl, but knows he has to. 

"Adios, Kassie," he tells her, and then goes out of the class, knowing he cannot stand her scent anymore. Emmett cannot expose his family or hurt the girl that seems to slowly be changing him. Kassie looks after him, confused and hurt, by the expression on her face.